Soapstone in Seattle - Distributors and Installer

mmagruderSeptember 23, 2010

I am looking to put in soapstone in my kitchen and have been to both the Seattle & Fife Pental. Is there anywhere else in the Seattle area (South or North) to find soapstone? I prefer the more charcoal grey instead of green tint with not a lot of movement.

Also, any installers anyone can recommend?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shaughnn

Meta Marble in Georgetown has 3cm gray soapstone in stock right now (I just called to confirm). They also have a list of fabricators whom they can recommend.
Best of luck,
Shaughnn

Bookmark   September 23, 2010 at 3:12PM
mmagruder

Thanks Shaughnn I will go check it out.

Bookmark   September 23, 2010 at 3:27PM
leela4

Hi-
We got our soapstone at Meta Marble & Granite. We were also looking for a more gray/blue tone vs green, and we couldn't find any on the east side of the mountains, so we went over there to look. We were very happy to find it, and they shipped it to our fabricator/installer over here (so I don't have a rec. for that in the Seattle area)

Here's some pictures:

HTH

Bookmark   September 23, 2010 at 3:35PM
lblue

HI---I am also in Seattle. I just found out that Pental
stocks the same Original Green sold thru Green Mountain marketed as Original Green. It turns very dark charcoal grey/black when oiled, little movement. The Oregon Pental has Original PA coming in (which is black when oiled & a harder stone)& I am waiting to hear if the Seattle Pental will also get some of this shipment. Lots of beautiful kitchens on the gardenweb website (katieob, Megpie77, mary_ in_NC etc.) have the Original Green & Original PA soapstone. Take a look at their kitchens, I think it is the soapstone you are seeking. Megpie77 is in the Seattle area & she posted her soapstone pics, she has Original Green & it reads charcoal grey.
Best,
Lisa

Bookmark   October 20, 2010 at 9:08PM
Russel Callen

We are in Portland and tried to find a "local" fabricator that actually had worked heavily with soapstone and didn't find one. We ended up going with Shadley's out of Bend, OR and they did an amazing job. They (husband and wife) template and fabricate on site, our counters went from a full slab to installed perfection in a single day.

We were going to DIY after getting quotes from the local granite fabricators that would also work with soapstone, their prices were unreasonable...Shadley's was much more in line with what we expected. All they do is soapstone, and they will do runnels in it as well.

Bookmark   October 23, 2010 at 2:18PM
Seatownmom

I found a place just North of Seattle called Crocodile Rocks stone supply. They have by far the best selection of soapstone in the Seattle area! My husband works in that area; he begged me to meet him, so I did. And I was pleasantly surprised!! They have 5 different kinds I think. And they're all priced the same at $22.50 per square foot. We ended up choosing the Valentino, which is super black with fine white veining. Good luck everybody and cheers to soapstone!

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 6:41PM
rhome410

Leela4, that stone is SO gorgeous. Is your counter oiled, or will it turn another color if/when oiled?

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 8:17PM
leela4

Hi rhome-thanks, we think it's gorgeous too. We have yet to oil it, and it's been over 2 years now. I have oiled one of the sink cutouts that we have-mostly to inservice people who ask about soapstone to show them what it would look like oiled. It is a somewhat softer variety so it has some scratches and dings, and we have talked about oiling it for that reason. But then we think, no, not yet!

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 10:58PM
gayl

I also used Valentino soapstone from Crocodile Rocks...and I used Ed at Double Eagle Interiors in Auburn as our fabricator. He did a great job, even checked in with Soapstone Joshua when an issue came up. We used Dorado dry wax and he put on at least 3 coats. He would be a good person to contact.

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 11:15PM
nineteenoeight

We used Meta for "Smoke" soapstone, and our fabricators (who were fabulous) were Architectural Stone Werkes, Inc.
206-768-8305
(yes, spelling is deliberate)
(leela4, we are surviving the little dings & scratches,you were right - it's super minor and not upsetting. The benefits definitely outweigh the "patina"

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 1:39AM
leela4

Not to hijack-but nineteenoeight-are you done? Did I miss the reveal?

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 10:45AM
nineteenoeight

No reveal yet - yet another tile problem(entire order being redone) so backsplash not in, life crazy, might do the reveal w/o backsplash if I can manage to take some pics!

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 12:14PM
Soapstonelover

We found our soapstone at Crocodile Rocks. They have TONS of soapstone and a lot of white marble. Which I was considering, but went with soapstone. Our fabricator is Homchick Stoneworks. We're having them make a matching soapstone sink with a drainboard. We are so excited! I'll try to remember to post photos when they're installed.

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 4:48PM
More Discussions
What are your thoughts on Ikea Sektion base cabinets?
I've commented here over and over that since this little...
benjesbride
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
Need advice badly! What should I do about my countertop?
The pictures below show my new installed Cambria Bradshaw...
Parhelion
Undermount sink keeps separating from granite
We recently had granite installed in our kitchen and...
stnjan
quartz countertops
I'm so confused. I keep reading that quartz countertops...
judydel
Sponsored Products
BAZZ Recessed Lighting Single Cube 4 1/2 in. Brushed Chrome Halogen Recessed
$22.99 | Home Depot
Personalized Gray Serving Board
$49.50 | FRONTGATE
Mini Basketweave Table Runner by Chilewich
$45.00 | Lumens
40" Beach Wagon
Fifthroom.com
Park Slope Slate Cheeseboard & Chalk
$16.99 | Dot & Bo