Shopping for food processor

springrozSeptember 17, 2012

My KA FP died a couple of years ago, and was never replaced. The stem broke off of the plastic housing. Now I am shopping cuisinart, and the $800 20 cup has an 800w motor and plastic housing, while the $320 16 cup has a die cast metal housing and 1000w motor.

Does anyone have opinions on either of these machines? For almost $500, I can live with a bit less capacity, but is there a difference in the actual output of the motors? If there is a difference in reliability or signifigant power difference, I don't mind paying the difference, but of course, would rather not........

Thanks!!

Nancy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eam44

One problem with the 14 cup Cuisinart is that you have to be able to fit an item completely into the feed tube with the guide attached in order for the FP to slice it. That means you have to pre-cut everything, which is irritating.

Is there a reason you are looking for such relatively large capacities? Cooks Illustrated still recommends the 12 cup KA KFP750. It's the one I own, and it's flawless.

Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 4:28PM
Bobby99

Hi Nancy,

Have you ever wandered over to the Chowhound forums? I find them really useful when I'm debating between certain kitchen appliances (or pie plates, or knives, or cookie sheets - nothing is beneath their notice). Many posters are pretty opinionated, but I always learn a lot.

Sigh. Between gardenweb and chowhound, I don't know how I get any work done :)

- Lindsey

Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 4:36PM
rhome410

Wow, 20 cup?! Sounds amazing, and something like we could use around here. But the largest we've ever had is 11-cup, and truthfully, it does most of what I need pretty well. Maybe I just don't know what I'm missing. ;-) But for $800, I'm not going to find out...

Like EAM44 said, Cooks Illus/America's Test Kitchen always like the KA. My first one was a KA, and it lasted for years. I went with a Cuisinart this time, because it was about $100 cheaper, thanks to Costco. I can deal with it, but can't recommend it. It has so many little safety catches and locks, and little plastic parts that break. EAM44 is right about the feed tube, too... and your larger models seem to have the same size feeding tube as mine does.

Lindsey...LOL. I sure get what you're saying. I haven't even discovered ChowHound as an addiction, although I've researched things there a few times... I have kept busy enough here and on the appliance forum over the last several years.

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 2:07PM
sayde

A couple of thoughts --

(1) I have a Cuisinart DLC-7 that is probably 30 years old. Much used and still going strong. Really heavy duty. They are still selling these units on eBay and you can get new blades and bowls from Cuisinart for the DLC-7. I've replaced the bowls a few times. I would prefer an old one like mine to a new one. If you read Chowhound you'll probably come across discussions of the old versus the new.

(2) A stick blender is a very handy thing to have and is useful for soups and things in pots-- you don't have to pour everything into the Cuisinart.

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 2:58PM
More Discussions
What are your thoughts on Ikea Sektion base cabinets?
I've commented here over and over that since this little...
benjesbride
Why are my granite edges lighter than the top?
Perhaps some of you recall my ordeal with my kitchen...
pumpkinhouse
Looking for stainless steel sink recommendations
Hey GW - I am looking for a single bowl SS sink for...
swatyreno
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
Any reason a DW couldn't go next to a fridge?
We need to pull the trigger on our cabinets next week,...
gretchen718
Sponsored Products
Outdoor Lighting. Tori 13.75 in. Fluorescent Hanging Exterior Light, Brown Frame
Home Depot
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Kaleen Rugs Khazana Portals Charcoal 2 ft. 3 in. x 7 ft.
Home Depot
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: American Rug Craftsmen Rugs Shaker Heights Red
Home Depot
Illumine Outdoor Lighting. 12 in. Orbitor Shade, Galvanized, Frosted Glass, Blac
Home Depot
Corinth´┐Ż Rectangular: 5 Ft. 4 In. x 7 Ft. 8 In. Any Day Matinee - Theater Area R
$255.95 | Bellacor
Indoor Area Rug: Lucarne Exciting 7' 10" x 11' 2" Plush
Home Depot
Area Rug: Cherry Blossom Ivory 2' 3" x 3' 9"
Home Depot
Kenroy Home Lamps Windham 23 in. Bronze Table Lamp 32085BRZ
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™