Granite Installation... I'm nearly in tears

april_loveSeptember 12, 2012

I'm nearly in tears. My granite was partially installed this morning. There was one piece near the eating area that was chipped and filled in. It looked bad; They took it back to the shop to fix and are supposed to come back today to finish.

I'm looking at the granite and I just don't believe it's the piece I selected. It may just be the lighting but I just don't think it's the one I chose. There are four separate pieces of granite - two look the same and two look different.

Here's my dilemma. I ordered the granite through my cabinet maker. The cabinet maker has paid for everything as it relates to the granite. I will pay him at the end of the installation. My cabinet maker is meticulous; There were a few things that needed to be modified with the cabinets. He had everything fixed in less than a week. He even took care of things that I told him weren't a big deal to me.

If it were anyone else I'd stop payment in a heartbeat. It's kind of looking like the granite yard may have shipped the wrong piece.

What should I do? I don't want to ask my cabinetmaker for money off.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cawaps

Do you have pics of the slabs you chose? If the granite yard messed up, your cabinet-maker shouldn't be on the hook. I wouldn't hesitate to bring it up with him, but be clear who you think messed up and who should be on the hook, i.e., not him.

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 2:08PM
CEFreeman

Call him now. Enlist his help.
He is your best ally in this.
Before they bring back that other piece.

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 2:44PM
irishlaw1

I also got my granite through my cabinet people. I also liked, and had a great relationship with the cabinet people. The granite came and had a chip, which I didn't like. CEFreeman is right; the rep from the cabinet store was my best ally. Just because you like the cabinetmaker and feel bad doesn't mean you shouldn't be receiving what you paid for. Don't accept without question if you don't think it is the granite you selected! HTH

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 2:51PM
CEFreeman

Remember that the cabinet maker didn't make the granite. He's as much at mercy of his contractor as you are. He is your best help.

Did you by chance take pics of your slab? Perhaps to post them here? That could help the issue a lot.

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 3:55PM
More Discussions
Pendant lights over island
Can anyone assist w/ the dimensions for lights over...
fourhappy
Looking for stainless steel sink recommendations
Hey GW - I am looking for a single bowl SS sink for...
swatyreno
Anyone with Kashmir Cream?
I see a lot of Kashmir White here. Has anyone used...
mjsiny
Help! Are rift cut, slab cabinets always veneer?
We got a sample of our door color for our slab, rift...
frogster
Shiloh vs. Diamond - Help!
We are in the process of a large remodel of our home....
jalit1013
Sponsored Products
Carpet Rods Bright Brass Tubing Plain Ball End Rod Set of 13
The Renovator's Supply, Inc.
Carosella Rug 9' x 12' - LIGHT GREY
$1,299.00 | Horchow
Safavieh Handmade Mahal Green/ Rust New Zealand Wool Rug (2' x 3')
Overstock.com
Toilet Seats Lt/Dk Bamboo Toilet Seat Chrome Hinge Elongated
The Renovator's Supply, Inc.
Cobblestone Rug 5' x 8' - PURPLE
$499.00 | Horchow
Progress Lighting Outdoor Lanterns. Hard-Nox 2-Light Outdoor Black Wall Lantern
$89.64 | Home Depot
Engineered Hardwood: Home Legend Flooring Jatoba Natural Dyna 1/2 in. T x 5 in.
$4.98 | Home Depot
Brown Bones Repair Kit
$7.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™