crosspost: Help with finding venting to fit 42" copper hood shell
Crosspost w/ Appliance forum:
Help with finding venting to fit my 42" copper hood shell
Final attempt to salvage my 42" antique copper hood, before I give up and buy a stainless steel chimney wall hood or something: (see pix below)
- I have this 42" wide antique copper hood shell
- I am having trouble finding an insert that fits w/in this shell: mainly because the "lip" or "brim" of the hood is only 3", and most inserts need 4"+ (something about the ability to hang the baffle filters)
- New idea of using external blower, so that I am not limited to a smaller/weaker cfm internal blower.
- But does my setup allow for external blower? Hood needs to go up ~12" and 90degree turn left ~45" to go outside
- How exactly does external blower system work? Is there a complete diagram?
- Waiting for Mark from Tradewind to get back to me w/ ideas of what his engineers can customize
- Broan/Nutone technician said they don�t have anything that fits my hood
- Do I talk to a local HVAC person? What do I ask for?
- One possibility is to reuse the old Tradewind insert that I have (w/ the mesh filters) attach it to an external blower????
I am not 100% attached to this copper hood, but I do like it. I like the shape and the fact that it is an antique and not some generic hood from the manufacturing line.
But I could live w/out all the hassle/run-around.
Really appreciate any ideas/help.
As my friend Kristin (thrilledtoremodel) said, do not give up until you run it by the gardenweb. They are creative; they will come up with something!
- 900+ CFM (I fry, garlic/oil, fish, etc A LOT � need to remove the grease and smell). Yes, I could live w/ 600cfm (better than the 0cfm that I had).
- Baffle filters (instead of mesh)
- Ceiling height = 91"
- Option A. If I stay UNDER the ceiling, I have only 13.5" from hood top to ceiling bottom for transition piece + elbow ducting
- Option B. If I go THROUGH the ceiling joist space, I gain another 7", but then I�m limited to 7-8" ducting (to go out the house)
- Budget: cannot spend over $2000
36 base cab to countertop
29 countertop to hood bottom
12.5 height of hood
Leaves 13.5" from hood top to ceiling bottom for transition piece + elbow ducting
Old tradewind insert w/ mesh filters:
My layout: hood is label "Pots/Pans"