eeeek...etching on new quartzite counter

sfmomoxoSeptember 25, 2010

I knew it had to happen sooner or later, but the kitchen isn't even done and there it was this morning...plain as day, one big old circle etch on the counter. Was it my DHs salad dressing??? My DDs water glass???

I know some of you have your magic potions for getting out etch marks. Please share. I can't imagine what will happen once we've really moved back in. Ugh!

Thanks so much (yes, again!)...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
onelady1dog2girls

My granite, which is called mont blanc, looks remarkably like quartzite gets heartattack appearing stains from oils and wine. The good news is that I have observed that they actually evaporate out in a few days without any special treatment besides everyday granite/stone spray. I think I read from bill vincent that the better sealants allow liquids to evaporate out. Perhaps yours will do the same?

Bookmark   September 25, 2010 at 9:29PM
pricklypearcactus

So sorry about the etching. What variety of quartzite is the countertop? I was under the impression that quartzite did not etch. Maybe it's as onelady1dog2girls says and it isn't truly an etch. My bathroom carrera marble countertop darkens with water, but it goes away as the water evaporates. The first time it happened I was panicked that I somehow stained my countertop.

Bookmark   September 25, 2010 at 9:42PM
sfmomoxo

I have white opal quartzite. It really does look like etching... I found a discussion on this board with some marble owners using scotchbrite pads. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope that the marks "evaporate" out. If not, I'm off to the store for some scotchbrite pads.

Bookmark   September 25, 2010 at 11:14PM
mtv20

sfmomoxo- this just happened to me with my super white leathered quartzite. I left a white vinegar gallon size jug!! What do I use?

Bookmark   October 26, 2010 at 9:52AM
kitchenkrazed09

Sfmomoxo - How did this turn out? How about you, mtv20?

Bookmark   December 19, 2010 at 8:58AM
salmon_slayer

FWIW, our quartzite counters have been in 2 years and they have not etched. We took samples of granite/marble/quartz and exposed them to wine, lime/lemon juice before buying and it was by far the toughest - Interested in the answer above.

Bookmark   December 19, 2010 at 12:58PM
cjc123

I also had etching in some areas in the first few months, I have noticed that the spots are all but invisible now! I think it was the sealer getting removed... I am still ocd about cleaning and keeping acid type foods/liquids off the counters thou. (super white quartzite/dolomite)

Bookmark   December 19, 2010 at 2:10PM
kitchenkrazed09

Salmon-slayer - What color quartzite do you have? Thanks!

Bookmark   December 21, 2010 at 9:02PM
dgilliam39_yahoo_com

Hi All,

We have been looking at different granites for months trying to find something with a lot of white in it that isn't too busy etc....The Opal White Quartzite that I found being discussed here and in another post titled "what to go with opal white quartzite" has me very interested but I can't seem to find anyone near me who sells it.
Can anyone tell me who makes it and how I might go about finding it? I live in southeast Michigan.
Here is the other post I mentioned.
http://www.thathomesite.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0711025824976.html

Bookmark   January 9, 2011 at 11:37AM
padmae

Hi everyone,

Is this an awesome website or what? I've learned so much as we're making our countertop choice. Plus the photos of such amazing kitchens is beyond helpful. We were headed toward Quartzite Bianca (aka Luce de Luna, Aspen White), but Sochi's post on another thread with photos of her Quartzite Bianca sealed the deal.

That said, I was very surprised/disappointed to read about etching since fabricators and suppliers praise the virtues of quartzite being harder, more stain/etch resistant than granite.

I had a few questions to see if we could figure out why some of these white quartzites etch, while others don't, even after deliberate abuse. I sure don't know if it's possible for the same material to come from the identical quarry but end up with somewhat different properties, which might account for the differences in etching. For instance, while all marble etches, and often within seconds, not all marble etches the same. Two different samples of Calcutta, for instance, could produce different etching characteristics, which makes sense because of porosity, calcite and other differences. So, maybe there are these differences among what is called quartzite.

For those who have white quartzite, it would be interesting to find out...

1. What sealer did your installer use? (sealing doesn't protect against etching, but I'm still curious);
2. Do you tend to wipe your countertops daily? (I've been told quartzite will etch, but typically food has to sit on the counter overnight);
3. What product do you use to clean your countertops?
4. Does a stainless steel knife (or Swiss Army knife) cut it?
5. What city/state did you purchase your white quartzite? Did they say what country it came from (I believe all of what they are calling Quartzite Bianca comes from the same quarry in Brazil, but I still ask out of curiosity)
6. If your white quartzite etched, did it remain etched after a few days? If so, did you find a solution to minimize the etching?

I'd also like to know the name of the quartzite Salmon-slayer has.

Thanks!

Bookmark   June 6, 2011 at 10:17PM
padmae

HI all

Our hearts have been set on Quartzite Bianca (aka Luce de luna, Aspen White) but I just found out from our fabricator who called the Marble Institute of America, the reason some quartzites are etching is because... the supplier applied resin to it prior to shipping it to the distributor, which makes it highly susceptible to etching. They apply resin or sealer to it before shipping to "enhance" certain physical characteristics of the stone. Either they don't know or care about how they also make it highly susceptible to etching!!

I also found out from the Marble Institute of America that using cleaners that contain hydrofluoric acid will etch quartzite (as in, cleaning your stainless steel sink and some gets on the countertops).

So... ask the place where you bought your quartzite if the supplier (company that deals with the quarry) applied resin or sealer. If so, that's what's making your countertop etch when say lemon juice gets on it. At least according to my fabricator, there is nothing that can be done after the fact because the resin (or sealer--not to be confused with the sealer your fabricator applies for stain protection) has impregnated the pores and no amount of polishing can reverse it.

I can't tell you how heartbroken we are. WE LOVE Quartzite Bianca but what is available in Portland, OR or Seattle has been resined. If anyone out there has bought Quartzite Bianca in this region and have had no etching problems, please let me know. We would love to get a slab of this as long as i has not been resined.

If you are one of those whose quartzite etched, AND the place you bought it from said it would not etch, I would march right back and ask them to replace it with a slab that has not be resined. That's what a customer in Portland had to do (unfortunately they'd have to go with something different since no unresined QB is available here).

If Sochi still checks in on this thread and can tell us where in Canada you live, I'm hoping you live in Vancouver BC and we can find out where you purchased your QB and we can get it at least to Seattle. Thanks all and sorry for the bad news but I hope this sheds light on why some quartzites etch while others do not. The more customers go back to the distributors who sold products that are defective, the more they will go back to their suppliers to insist on selling them undefective product.

Bookmark   June 7, 2011 at 11:26PM
padmae

More information on why suppliers put resin on slabs prior to shipping (www.mineralszone.com):

Resining is a process when a stone slab is being treated with a resin, any substance of natural or synthetic origin generally exudated from sap of tree or plants. Stone slabs are impregnated with these resins to provide strength to the stone. There are certain slabs that are rejected due to several reasons like brittleness of the stone but now resins are applied on these slabs and the rejected slabs are marketed.

The resining process uses epoxy resins for granites and polyesters for marble. The slabs are first honed and dried, and then the resin is applied. The slabs are then cured in heated ovens, and after the resin is cured, the slabs are sent to the polishing lines where they are polished

Our fabricator said it would be hard to find a slab that has not had resin applied, and resin ingredients vary depending on the country which makes it hard to track what ingredient in the resin reacts to acids on the countertop. This too might explain differences people are experiencing with etching (as compared to their slab not having resin applied). If Sochi still checks this thread, it would be interesting to find out what quarry (country) your Quartzite Bianca came from since you've had no etching. I'm crossing my fingers my slab on hold came from the same place.

Supposedly it's when an acid (which I suppose could include water) is left on the countertop overnight that etching can occur. Apparently etching can be hand polished by a fabricator, but it might not be an exact match to the original polish, but it's better than nothing, right?

Bookmark   June 8, 2011 at 3:23PM
lisa0527

Padmae
Lots of Quartzite in VAncouver at Margranite. In Burnaby, just on the Vancouver border. 32 slabs of White Pearl alone, plus many others. Not sure if they had Bianca Quartz.

Bookmark   July 15, 2011 at 1:41AM
kellycal

thanks for the info here. i am experiencing this exact problem with our Arabesque White (aka Superwhite) quartzite. Etching (confirmed by installer) in the form of rings, spots and even in the shape of my stainless cheese grater that sat on the insland counter. Sad, but unfortunately we were told the same things about sealer applied at the time of quarry as the problem. At first I was skeptical of this response but it sounds like it's a more backed up that I thought. They have offered to repolish and if there is no change or permanent solution we pick a whole new stone...we probably won't even consider that because we love the look of this stone and we don't want to deal with the mess. Right now our entire kitchen looks gorgeous with it, aside from these etching problems. It also cuts or scratches very easliy. all I think are a product of what's sitting on this stone, not the stone itself. I would recommend doing it honed and then sealing it properly. That is likely what I would have done in hindsight with this stone. Almost treat it like a marble, though it's supposed to wear stronger than a granite...but not really. Good luck to all of us with it ;)

Bookmark   July 23, 2011 at 10:32AM
Terzen

It has been over a yr since the last posting on this thread. I was planning on putting Arabesque (Super White) quartzite in my kitchen but am freaking out since discovering this thread.

Padmae - what did you finally decide on your counter choice?

I called a major supplier in Seattle & was told they have had no etching issues with quarzite. Is it possible the quarry suppliers have stopped using the etchable expoxy from a yr ago? Any reassurances about quartzite would be appreciated!

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 3:56PM
hobokenkitchen

We have Super White quartzite installed a couple of months. It etches but doesn't stain.

We also had a different quartzite (Madre Perle/ Monte Carlo/ Mother of Pearl) in another kitchen and it neither stains nor etches.

Seems like etching is a problem with Super White for a lot (but oddly not all) people. You need to decide if you can live with it or not.

Btw I would hesitate to leave vinegar on any stone surface.

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 4:54PM
camphappy

This appears to be an old thread but here is our experience so far. We have had our quartzite (Taj Mahal) in for almost a month and so far no etching. I even accidentally left some lime juice on the counter overnight and no etching. I took a knife to a sample piece of it and could not scratch it.
Our fabricator hates it. He said it was the most difficult stone he has ever worked with, "good for the homeowner, bad for the fabricator". It took him about 4 times longer to fabricate than "typical granite" and he went through 3 diamond blades trying to cut it. He was quite grumpy when he was installing it and seemed to take short cuts with our seams. We are still trying to get this problem resolved.
Our stone, however, does not have a perfect mirrored finish. If you look at it from an angle with light shining on it it has a scratched like appearance from all the veins and crystals. Never had granite before so not sure if this is normal. It is smooth to the touch. It does appear to be bullet proof, however.

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 7:31PM
PRO
MarbleSeal Technologies

If you are having etching issues on quartzite (not quartz), then you might want to check a product called Clearstone. It is a polyester resin that protects against all manner of chemicals and comes with a 10 year warranty against etching.

Bookmark   February 12, 2015 at 9:39AM
Lily Spider

Is this Clearstone safe for marble type products? I want to get super white for my counters but am hesitant after reading

Bookmark   February 12, 2015 at 7:17PM
Lily Spider

Sorry...computer issues. Hesitant after reading these posts of etching. Sometimes super white is a quartize and sometimes it acts more like. A marble. Going to look tomorrow

Bookmark   February 12, 2015 at 7:19PM
PRO
MarbleSeal Technologies

Clearstone was specifically designed to protect Calcium based stones: marble, travertine, onyx, soft quartzite, etc. It will protect the surface from staining and most importantly acid etching. Clearstone comes with a 10 year warranty against staining and etching. Clearstone does not change the look of the stone.

Bookmark   February 12, 2015 at 8:06PM
may_flowers

I think this is the product Romy put on her laundry room marble, which gave it a plastic appearance. She did not follow through with her plans to apply it to her kitchen. You can search GW for her post.

Bookmark   February 12, 2015 at 8:42PM
karin_mt

Lily, you are wise to be hesitant. Super White is often marble, so you have to do your homework to find out exactly what it is. For the record, there is no such thing as soft quartzite. There is, however, an abundance of quartzite being sold as marble. Take your time and weigh your decision carefully!

Bookmark   February 12, 2015 at 8:53PM
Lily Spider

Mayflowers & Karin, Thx. I Don't want my counters to look like plastic that's for sure! I plan on running the scratch test, glass & acid tests in the yard. This place is 1.5 hrs away. So I can't keep going back & forth. Thx again

Bookmark   February 13, 2015 at 3:44AM
karin_mt

Great plan Lily! See if they might give you some remnant scraps to bring home. Good luck with the shopping - it's quite a process!

Bookmark   February 13, 2015 at 6:51AM
PRO
MarbleSeal Technologies

Lily, M_flowers. There are other products out there that do impart a plastic like look. Not so with Clearstone. There are reasons that Clearstone gets such great reviews and that is because it leaves a surface which looks just like stone under it while providing the protection people want and need.

Bookmark   February 13, 2015 at 7:18AM
PRO
MarbleSeal Technologies

FYI Lily, IMC has several quartzite that they do sell. At least in their shop, they categorize some as hard and some as soft. The difference between the two is the amount of quartz in the product. Some have higher amounts of Calcium Carbonate in them which make them softer, CaCO3 being the base material for marble, and also more easily etched.

Bookmark   February 13, 2015 at 7:22AM
may_flowers

Here is romy's summary: The marble does look somewhat different. Danby looks "sugary", you can see crystals. That sugary look is less evident. It looks more perfect & the finish is very smooth. It doesn't look fake, just more perfect. A marble "purist" probably wouldn't like it. I think it is the solution for those seeking the white marble look but not wanting to worry about etching. I like my marble better without the Clearstone but I'll be more comfortable in my kitchen with the Clearstone.

Bookmark   February 13, 2015 at 8:02AM
romy718

Thanks May. That post was most likely after I had Clearstone applied to a sample of my marble. Before having it applied to all the kitchen counters, I had it put on a small laundry room countertop. My marble is a creamy white & sugary. The Clearstone gave it a gray cast, blurred the veining & the sugary crystals were gone. The marble looks & feels different & not in a good way. I am so glad I did the "laundry room test case". I ended up not doing it on my kitchen counters.

Bookmark   February 13, 2015 at 8:33AM
Lily Spider

Well it was an interesting day. Basically, everything I liked was what he called a quartize. I was only able to test one sample as he did not leave me alone. And I forgot to Ask for samples!!!!!!!

Bookmark   February 13, 2015 at 12:23PM
Lily Spider

I am having issues typing on the site. Check this one out

Bookmark   February 13, 2015 at 12:24PM
Lily Spider

The only test I did on site was I scratched with a pin & it scratched the surface and the glass didn't catch on the edges even tho they seemed very ough? A piece did break off. In. My. Hand and while eating lunch. I poured lemon juice on it and it didn't bubble where I scratched it?

Bookmark   February 13, 2015 at 12:29PM
Lily Spider

Sorry for all the posts. For some reason on my phone and Ipad the typing is acting weird on this site? Anyway, the lemon juice also didn't seem the etch the surface either? Could it be that it is the mixed mentioned above? So do I get it?

Part of me is thinking I should go with my original pick which was Quartz LG Minute. I started on this granite hunt because I saw White Fantasy in a granite yard and loved it and then starting reading about granite, quartize, etc etc. I think I may have over educated myself :)

Bookmark   February 13, 2015 at 12:35PM
jdros81

Have you seen a full slab of the LG Minuet Quartz? I had considered this, too, as the sample looked beautiful but didn't like it when I saw the full slab - very uniform and similar to the other quartz-trying-to-be-marble samples I had seen.

I am going back and forth on a decision, too. I found a beautiful slab of leathered super white that doesn't look like other super white's I have seen. My super white samples scratched glass and did not etch and the stone yard swears it is quartzite. But the fabricator says that they are able to cut through super white very easily unlike other quartzites which are extremely hard.

1 Like    Bookmark   February 13, 2015 at 12:43PM
Lily Spider

I don't know any fabricator that carries a full slab of Quartz. My friend put it in her brand new kitchen and her island is HUGE as big as a slab I would guess. I have to tell you that I didn't look that closely at it I just remember it looked very pretty and clean. She has 4 children and says its a dream to clean. Nailpolish, marker, etc so I thought Well that's it. That's what I am getting because my kids are also little and make messes. UGH!! I believe Super White and White Fantasy are the same stone. The only White Fantasy he had in his warehouse was too gray for me. I wanted it more white with gray veining. I love the pic of the Super White you looked at it. I think leathering is supposed to help in the wearing of it. There is a Brown Fantasy thread out there somewhere on GW and they discuss to leather or not to leather.

I didn't think I liked leathering but I looked at some today and I liked it more than I thought I would. At this point I am still totally clueless about what to get. At this rate I might keep my old formica with the wood trim. At least it cleans up without issue and I never yell at anyone when they get sharpie on it :) I don't want my kids to be afraid to "live" in the house.

Keep me posted on what you decide. If it were me. I would get that Super White you took a pic of. What are they charging per SF?

Bookmark   February 13, 2015 at 12:52PM
karin_mt

Yes, Super White varies widely. We have learned here (and by here, I mean GW) that some Super White really is quartzite, but most are dolomitic marble. Some have small amounts of quartz in them but that makes almost no difference in how the stone will perform across an entire kitchen. I stand by my assertion that there is no such thing as soft quartzite. A marble with some quartz grains in it is still going to etch and scratch, and it's still marble. Terms like "soft quartzite" are terribly misleading for customers (and probably for fabricators and salespeople too). Bottom line, for anything that is potentially quartzite, you have to test the same rock that you are considering buying.

Lily, if your sample didn't scratch glass then it's marble. It may be dolomitic marble, which resists etching somewhat, but it doesn't sound like real quartzite. If you have a rough edge on the sample stone, and give it a good scratch up against glass, it will certainly leave a gouge in the glass. Are you sure that the edge of the stone you scratched wasn't coated with protective epoxy or something like that?

You haven't over educated yourself. You have learned enough to realize that this is very confusing. Hang in there!

Bookmark   February 13, 2015 at 1:06PM
Lily Spider

Karin, nope the little sample I brought home won't make a mark on the glass. Poop! So now what? I guess it's either soft quartzite or Quartz.

Bookmark   February 13, 2015 at 1:16PM
Lily Spider

Is the white Macubus always Quartzite? I did see that there and it is very pretty. It looked a little too creamy with my white cabinet sample. couldn't test any of the other slab cuz my sales guy was by my side the entire time. I am so bummed. I am still in love with the White Fantasy I found a few weeks ago.

Bookmark   February 13, 2015 at 1:19PM
romy718

Jdros-that slab is gorgeous & it sounds like it passed the tests. As karin said, there are some Super White (or whatever name they put on them) slabs out there that are true quartzites. Do you have the slab on hold?

Lily-I would just be upfront w/ the sales person & bring your glass bottle. You have the right to know if it's going to etch. Are you near lcskaisgir's stoneyard? They brought her slabs in from another stoneyard .

Bookmark   February 13, 2015 at 1:24PM
Lily Spider

I am in MD. The stone yard I went to today was close to 2 hrs away so I will most likely not go back there. Where is Icskaisgir's? I technically held a few stones and took photos so I if I chose one of his stones I will have him send a picture to make sure I am getting the same one. I challenged him on the naming of the stones. He basically just said that the Quartzite is harder to keep than granite but less harder to take care of than marble. He says everyone that he has put in the Quartzite for has not complained and many of them have had it over a year. Not sure if that means much but... I am going to keep looking around to see what I can find.

Bookmark   February 13, 2015 at 1:37PM
karin_mt

Yes, White Macaubus seems to be one of the reliable ones. But if yours doesn't scratch glass, then it's definitively not quartzite. Bummer, but much better to know that now, right?

And I agree about being up front about needing to test a sample. It's a perfectly reasonable request.

Bookmark   February 13, 2015 at 1:47PM
Lily Spider

I tested something called Nordic White pictured above. the one that is mostly gray and white. I didn't get a chance to test the white macabus.

Bookmark   February 13, 2015 at 1:53PM
heffer569

Lily what color is the first slab it's gorgeous

Bookmark   February 13, 2015 at 2:02PM
Lily Spider

That was my fav today. Nordic White. The one I tested that didn't pass :(

It is mostly gray and white with a tiny bit of green running through it over on the left. Hard to see in the pic. It also has very pretty sparkly parts. I really loved it.

Bookmark   February 13, 2015 at 2:04PM
Lily Spider

Here is the white fantasy that made me start my granite search. I should have just held this piece.

Bookmark   February 13, 2015 at 2:07PM
Lily Spider

And this one

Bookmark   February 13, 2015 at 2:08PM
romy718

Sorry, Lcskaisgir isn't anywhere near MD. Beautiful slabs- sorry they didn't work out but great eye candy. Thanks for posting the pics.

Bookmark   February 13, 2015 at 2:13PM
Lily Spider

I feel like I have been in a bad break up :)

Bookmark   February 13, 2015 at 2:17PM
heffer569

I just tagged 2 slabs that also had the sparkle and the reason I wanted them were for the sparkle. The sample I'm testing is definitely not passing the scratch test but I thought it was etching last night woke up this morning to check put the lemon juice I left overnight and it isn't sooooo I still think I'm gonna go with it I may be crazy but I love the sparkle

Bookmark   February 13, 2015 at 2:28PM
jdros81

I did tag the slabs and am waiting for a quote from the fabricator. I got a sample of super white from what the stone yard had laying around and not from my actual slab, which is why I am still somewhat nervous.

I am probably also going to end up getting quotes for a calacatta quartzite, which I tested and was bullet proof, even though the fabricator keeps telling me that it will be very expensive. Very expensive is such a relative term - I need to know how much!

Bookmark   February 13, 2015 at 2:46PM
Lily Spider

I am interested to know the price of the Calcutta quartzite. Please share if you don't mind. I am getting quotes as high as 107$ a sq for white fantasy.

I put soy sauce & mustard on my unsealed piece of quartzite (that didn't cut glass) & neither stained it. Interesting.

Bookmark   February 14, 2015 at 6:11AM
romy718

Heffer569 - do you have a picture to share? We love pictures of slabs.

Bookmark   February 14, 2015 at 8:26AM
jdros81

I love pictures of slabs, too! This forum has been so helpful - I think I have read all of the "let's talk about rocks" threads :).

I went to the stone year today to look at the Calacatta Quartzite. The sales man said that another name for it is White Macaubus. The slabs that I looked at were not the vein-cut, but more swirly. I am waiting on pricing.

I did receive information on the leathered "Super White" - the info I got was just the amount I am over my allowance, but it looks like around $130 / sq ft to me.

It is interesting that folks on this forum seem to find quartzite for $100-$110/sq ft as it seems to be more expensive in the Chicagoland area, easily coming in closer to $200/sq ft for the Taj Mahal/Princess White/etc from what I have heard.

Here is the Calacatta - in person it is not quite this white, more greyish, but still beautiful!.

Bookmark   February 14, 2015 at 11:26AM
Heidi Adams

We have white mac or luce de luna. It will never ever etch. Never. And, you cannot get it to scratch or chip. HOWEVER, it is porous and ours is ruined. Yes, I said ruined. :( At first, it would just soak up oil and water and take forever to evaporate, but then the oil/water stopped evaporating. Then every single edge darkened. Looks like a water stain that is on the edges and it is growing! It seems to be very porous in soaking things in but not so porous in evaporating things out. It has taken a year to even begin to get a resolve on the matter. Our fabricators say they have never seen such a thing, that it was not an issue in fabrication, and that it is a bizarre rare reaction the stone is having for whatever reason. They swear it is not a sealing issue, and they have offered to replace it. Two other granite professionals think the fabricators applied a product to the edges, in conjunction with not properly sealing, and it soaked it up and it is not evaporating out. Anyhow...I want to share my story when I can here as I thought White mac/Luc de luna was bulletproof, and I think it can be if it is fabricating/sealed well. Just be sure to ask whether the fabricator has worked with it before, ask about any water/oil stains issues, and ask about what sealer they use(ours used tenex pro-seal, and I am thinking these quartzites need diff sealers as others have reported oil stains before sealed well, although not as devastating as my situation).

Bookmark   February 14, 2015 at 11:46AM
Lily Spider

Wow! That is beautiful and expensive!! And I thought $107 was bad :)

Are you going for it?

Bookmark   February 14, 2015 at 11:46AM
heffer569

These are the pictures of my slabs

Bookmark   February 14, 2015 at 3:58PM
Lily Spider

Heidi, I have heard that white Mac is pretty indestructible. Maybe it was the sealer or a bad slab? Are you going to try replacing it with more white Mac? It's so beautiful! Can you post a pic of your ruined piece? I would like to see it if you don't mind?

Bookmark   February 14, 2015 at 4:01PM
Lily Spider

Hefer569, gorgeous slabs! How exciting!

What is the name of the stone?

Bookmark   February 14, 2015 at 4:02PM
heffer569

The stone is called the new super white. I have only seen it at one stone yard I searched dozens because this had a 3 month wait but couldn't find it anywhere luckily our kitchen has a mind of its own these past 3 months and it came in way before we are even up to countertops so it is sitting patiently by the fabricator

Bookmark   February 14, 2015 at 4:21PM
jdros81
I am not going to get the super white I originally posted - it just didn't look like super white to me so I did more research and am thinking it is Cardiff marble (which I have never heard of). A stone yard showed me the Cardiff and it looks exactly Iike the "super white" I had tagged. Here is a pic of what I am used to seeing as super white next to the other slab. I think if something looks just like marble it probably is!
    Bookmark   February 15, 2015 at 6:13AM
jdros81
I am not going to get the super white I originally posted - it just didn't look like super white to me so I did more research and am thinking it is Cardiff marble (which I have never heard of). A stone yard showed me the Cardiff and it looks exactly Iike the "super white" I had tagged. Here is a pic of what I am used to seeing as super white next to the other slab. I think if something looks just like marble it probably is!
    Bookmark   February 15, 2015 at 6:14AM
Lily Spider

So the super white is on the left? I love it.

Bookmark   February 15, 2015 at 6:24AM
Heidi Adams

Lily Spider, I shared some pictures on this thread- http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2692150/countertop-geology-part-six-lets-talk?n=90

I don't know what we will do...I already met with another fabricator and picked out a fantasy brown...I am nearly positive we will just go with this new stone and new fabricator. My husband wants to give the replacement stone a try, but he does not want to pay for installation(they have offered to replace the stone but we have to pay new installation and fabrication costs), and they cannot guarantee it won't happen again, they cannot tell us how this happened in the first place, they assure us it was nothing they did on their end(although other granite professionals have disagreed), and it makes me nervous that they say stuff like, "this stone doesn't even need a sealer." My gut is that my problems resulted from the lack of experience this fabricator had with my stone, and I feel that something happened on their end, which gives me great pause in accepting a stone from them again-I fear that 6 months later, we will be in the same place, ripping huge stones out of our kitchen. So I don't know...but I will def post pics of when I am done with all the drama I learned about the kitchen building. :)

I do not mean to scare anyone away from this lovely stone-I do feel like it is a good hardy stone if properly fabricated, sealed, etc., as I am the minority in having such problems. I would not hesitate to buy it again if I had a fabricator I trusted that had it in stock(the fabricator that I am currently speaking with does not have this stone), but I am seriously jaded in accepting a stone that had these type of problems from the same fabricator.

Bookmark   February 15, 2015 at 7:28AM
Lily Spider

That makes sense. I would be weary as well. I love the brown fantasy. Would choose it myself but want gray tones not brown. I will check out your photos. Thx for the heads up. Looking forward to seeing pics of your new counters. Good luck!

Bookmark   February 15, 2015 at 7:39AM
Mags438

*sigh* these slabs are just so beautiful. *sigh* wish I could have made it work in my kitchen. *sigh*

Bookmark   February 15, 2015 at 7:48AM
More Discussions
Do I need an architect?
I have posted before about wanting to remodel my awful...
msmagoo
Polished chrome and polished nickel fixtures in same kitchen?
This is what I get for not figuring everything out...
windycitylindy
hardware length vs. drawer width..
All, We've figured out which pulls we want for our...
yoda888
Left/Right/Center & Related Hand & Faucet Questions
I've searched & read countless threads here over...
Carrie B
Silgranit sink color for Alaska White granite?
In the ever-changing world that is my new build, I...
beeps
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™