the "HOW" of installing base cabinets away from wall

kirkhallSeptember 7, 2013

Hi all,
I tried to revive an old thread (in appliances) that came up when I searched "Gardenweb base cabinet install away from wall". But, I've had no responses over the last couple days, and I hope to do my project this weekend. Can you help?

I want to install "base cabinets" away from the wall in my mudroom, but I am DIYing it and looking for guidance. I know that I can use 2 2x4s to build it out about 3"s. My question is, do you build it out with 2x4s in the horizontal, or do you have to build some support studs to hold those 2x4s in place? (I am thinking, here, about how I would attach the 2x4s to the wall at the upper section of the cabinets, not where they'd sit along the floor).

Has anyone done this who can offer me a "this is what we did, and it is all still in place"? (What kind of screws/fasteners attach your 2x4s to the wall (into studs)?)

TIA!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dseng

I've done it with 2 2x4's placed with the 3" face against the wall. The first one lag bolted thru to the studs with 4 1/2" lags. The second one screwed to the first with 3" screws. Worked great.

Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 3:18PM
kirkhall

Thanks dseng! I assume, then, that you had the 2x4s in a "rail" like position, going horizonally along the back of the cabinets?

Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 9:52PM
dan1888

You will still need to shim the install of the cabs.

Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 10:03PM
homebound

Lag bolts are a bit overkill. Mark the studs and use 3" deck screws for the first board (2 1/2" might work if you sink them into the wood a bit). Then once again for the board on top of it.

Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 10:14PM
kirkhall

Yes, I have my shim package, left over from the last cabinets I installed.
I am also glad I don't need to put big thick lag bolts into my wall studs. I think I even have some 3"ers around.

Thanks!

Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 10:27PM
live_wire_oak

You've got to assess the high spot in the floor, same as any standard install. Then locate the attachment rail in your cabinets, and it's width, and height from the floor. Use a level, and scribe a line around the room that's is the same height as the rail from the high spot in the floor.

Then pre-drill the 2x (or whatever blocking that you choose) and use lag screws to attach it to the studs. Don't overtighten if the walls are out of square. Use shims to keep the blocking square and true. You want to be slightly high or low of the center line so as to leave some "meat" to get your cabinet attachment screw into without hitting the lag screw.

All the rest of the cabinets will need to be shimmed to that high spot so the run will be level all around. The attachment rail should line up with the blocking all the way around the room if you've got the cabinets shimmed properly. Walls that are out of plumb can cause some issues, so you have to be sure to have plenty of shims available and be prepared to have end panels that are scribable that can conceal both the blocking and the wonky walls.

Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 10:31PM
live_wire_oak

Oh yeah, you will need an additional ledger board at 34.5" above the floor to support the countertop as well.

Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 10:34PM
buehl

So you have a "visual" to help, here's what mine looked like...

The cabinets in front of the bay window were installed 18" forward of the wall. It had to support granite as well.

To see the bottom, look over on the right...

This post was edited by buehl on Sat, Sep 7, 13 at 23:10

Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 11:08PM
More Discussions
Kitchen dimensions/layout advice please
We're finally renovating but this isnt a major overhaul,...
jomonster8u
Aditya Industries Stainless Steel Sink
Anyone ever heard of Aditya Industries as a supplier...
burbmomoftwo
Advice on first draft of kitchen layout
One change already is I may go with a cooktop, micro/convection...
happyallison
What do you think of the deeper Ikea wall cabinets?
To me, it would seem that 15" deep is excessive....
Chinchette
Freaky photo issue!
I just tried to start a new thread and attempted to...
debrak_2008
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™