Kitchen Renovation - Right color countertops

mlgriffiSeptember 30, 2012

My wife and I are purchasing a fixer upper. The kitchen cabinets are currently light maple but my wife wants to repaint the cabinets white/or off white with dark glazing outline. We plan to re-stain the hardwood dark walnut. I'm currently in debate on what color granite to use for the countertops (including the island). We will be painting the walls light gray (almost taupe color) and the appliances will be stainless steel.

I was thinking about using Maroon Cahiba (Brown Antique) but read on this board that white cabinets and black/or too dark countertops is dated. I'm also worried that the dark walnut will take away from the brown antique countertops.

Any thoughts on what would be a good granite color match for the countertops? Open to hardware colors as well.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MuleHouse

I don't have granite but if I were using it in a renovation with changes in cabinet color, paint, etc., I would make the granite purchase first and plan the rest of my color scheme around it.

Granite counter tops are beautiful and really become the highlight of a kitchen.

Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 1:40PM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

The answers will be quite different depending on if this is a flip, or you plan to live in it. If it's the former, then generic rules, and you want to avoid any too personal choices. "Current but personality-less" should be your goal. So far, your choices will fit with either category. It will be the granite, backsplash, and lighting that will make the difference in "Wow! Isn't that a great kitchen. They must love it, but I'm not sure I could live there." to "I can live with this until we decide to do something else. At least it's not 1970's harvest gold and avocado, even if it is 'so 2000's' "

Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 2:16PM
mlgriffi

We plan to live in it for a long time. I'm leaning on Maroon Cahiba with white cabinets but I'm wondering if the dark walnut will fade it out and if that color is too much of a contrast with the whit cabinets.

Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 8:28PM
More Discussions
color of sink in a modern kitchen ?
I will have white cabinets and dark grey counter tops. what...
jeannette10
Would soapstone work for me?
I currently have Cambria quartz and like it, but don't...
Butternut
Week 40: Sacrificed? Unobtainable dreams? Which direction?
A lot of questions this morning! Other than your entire...
CEFreeman_GW
Freaky photo issue!
I just tried to start a new thread and attempted to...
debrak_2008
What to put above kitchen window
I would like some help in finding a unique piece of...
zorroslw1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™