venting hood into bathroom vent?

lisa2416wvSeptember 4, 2013

I am planning a kitchen overhaul and have hit so many road blocks. Here is my last one I hope. I need to add a vent hood for a gas AGA stove. I either need to go up 7 feet, through a drop ceiling(drywall) and over 8 feet to an external brick wall OR go up about 7 feet and tap into the vent tube from the bathroom which is located behind the wall. It looks like that vent is only a 4 or 5 inch circle though. What option is the right one?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
live_wire_oak

If you go up, it needs to continue on through the roof with the minimum 6" vent. 8" would be better as a 6" duct can't really do much past 500 CFM successfully. If you can't do another roof penetration (why not???) then up and over would be the best choice. I'd upsize the CFM and ductwork to 10" if you are going to do that.

Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 1:31PM
Kristen Hallock

My stove vent specifically says NOT to use flexible pipe venting. My bathroom vent is one of those flexible pipes.

Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 1:56PM
lisa2416wv

OK that makes sense. I cant go up straight through the roof because I have a 3 story brick home that has not been drywalled, but I can do the up and out the wall with its own vent I think. Thank you

Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 2:42PM
More Discussions
Barker cabinets?
So who has Barker cabinets and would be willing to...
tigger9759
Advice on first draft of kitchen layout
One change already is I may go with a cooktop, micro/convection...
happyallison
Do I need an architect?
I have posted before about wanting to remodel my awful...
msmagoo
hardware length vs. drawer width..
All, We've figured out which pulls we want for our...
yoda888
Silgranit sink color for Alaska White granite?
In the ever-changing world that is my new build, I...
beeps
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™