Update on Removal of Coffee Stain on Granite

karenfromknoxvilleSeptember 13, 2008

Hi,

I just wanted to pass along my experience with coffee stain removal on Granite and Carrera Marble. Bottom line....no problem at all and very easy to do!!!

I had some left over pieces of Carrera Marble and my granite (Golden Queen) which I thought I'd experiment on first before trying to remove the stain on the kitchen counter. I spilled some coffe and put some used coffee grinds on the marble and left it on there for 2 weeks. Although it absorbed into the marble, it came out without a problem. When I spilled coffee on the granite, I left it on there for at least 6 hours. It never absorbed into the stone and I could just wipe it off. Which is amazing to me because that piece of granite was never sealed! Which causes me to wonder if what I think is a stain on my kitchen counter is in fact a stain (that granite was sealed!).

After I asked here for advice on how to remove a stain (many thanks to karencon and Buehl) and consulted some stone sites, I used Maurizio Bertoli's formula for coffee stain removal. The recipe I used to remove the stain was a mixture of hydrogen peroxide (from a beauty supply store) and baby powder. I mixed it (in a small glass jar) to peanutbutter consistency and put the paste on (with a metal spoon) over the stain. I did this outside and left the tile outside to dry because it is very hot here. Within 8 hours, I scraped the dried paste off and the stain was gone.

It was so easy I was surprised by the results. I don't know if most people are as scared as I am of doing something stupid that will damage the beauty of their stone, but I was pleasantly surprised that this experiment turned out so well without any harm to my stone.

Thanks for listening (reading) and hopefully my experience will help someone else!

Karen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karencon

Great news Karen. Just an aside for others. In the begining when water would be absorbed by the granite I would wonder if it was a stain. But in time it simply dried out. With a porous type granite that can happen and does especially around the sink.

Bookmark   September 14, 2008 at 7:12PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jkom51

Glad everything worked out for you. These forums will miss Maurizio, he was a generous and courteous contributor.

Bookmark   September 14, 2008 at 8:32PM
More Discussions
Ikea cover panel installation question (Akurum line)
Hi all! I was ready to post this to ikeafans.com and...
criv227
Just got my kitchen remodel photographed by a prof. What a difference!
For some reason a couple of the pics double posted....
Tamara Hadji
Economical FLAT subway tile?
Hi everyone! If I had my druthers, we'd be ordering...
kiwigem
Kohler Stages 45 knock off- Anyone have this one?
First, hello to all of my old friends on here who may...
reno_fan
Cherry and White Granite Kitchen Reveal - Lots of Photos!
First of all- this is a thank you post to the Gardenweb...
jenibufford
Sponsored Products
Alphabet Circus 10-Oz. Mug
$9.49 | zulily
Sanskrit Coffee Table
| Dot & Bo
Area Rug: Northern Territory Red/Black 7' 10" x 10'
Home Depot
Tonelli | Playtime Round Coffee Table
YLiving.com
Karastan Rugs Euphoria Wexford 2'1 x 7'10 Rectangular Cream Runner Rug
$169.99 | LuxeDecor