Minimal gap between range and countertop - clear silicone Q?

thedorkSeptember 25, 2013

I have a very tight fit between the range and counter - the range was on side when they did the template.

Should I use clear silicone to close even that tiny gap?
Did you use any? Is is getting dirty with time?
My countertop is Blizzard - white color and some people are suggesting white silicone vs clear.

I also have the same question for the side fridge panels and the countertop where they meet.

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GauchoGordo1993

I think the gap will be more noticeable with clear caulk than matching caulk because the clear caulk will look dark in this case, so I'd use matching caulk if it's available.

Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 1:19PM
rwiegand

I wouldn't. It will look odd and make it difficult to pull the appliances in and out as needed.

Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 1:21PM
rwiegand

I wouldn't. It will look odd and make it difficult to pull the appliances in and out as needed.

Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 1:23PM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

NEVER EVER caulk an appliance in place. You have to remove them to clean.

Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 1:59PM
jellytoast

I have a very tight space between the counter and range ... no caulk or silicone.

Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 3:09PM
GauchoGordo1993

Right - don't glue appliances to counters. I misunderstood the question.

Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 4:03PM
Fori is not pleased

Why not?

What kind of caulk are you all using that doesn't peel up with a minimal effort? I want that!

Dork, if you don't want to glue your range in (and of course you don't! You just want to keep crud out of the crack), use whatever it is I keep using on my icky old kitchen sink--kitchen 'n' bath caulk. It comes right up whether you want it to or not. But normally nothing goes in the crack. If you DO go rogue and caulk it, TEST the caulk on a counter sample to be sure it won't leave a stain and that it can in fact peel off when it's time to refresh.

As far as counter to cabinetry panels by the fridge, I personally (and probably incorrectly) would caulk it because I do NOT want spills dripping back there.

Yeah, I'm a rebel. But we're not talking heavy duty stick-it-down caulk. Just the wimpy cheap stuff.

Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 4:51PM
thedork

Thank you all for the suggestions!

I guess I am not talking caulk but clear or white silicone only. I've seen it in my friends' houses and you can hardly tell there is something there. I guess I am afraid of some spills from the top of the range, moisture etc. going between the range and the cabinet.

Example: I like the Italian stove coffee makers and the other day I just forgot about that and there was coffee all over the countertop and maybe there is some in that gap also :)

Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 5:24PM
GauchoGordo1993

There are many types of caulking (in order of ease of cleanup & removal): latex, acrylic, silicon, polyurethane, and combinations of the above. What you're calling "clear or white silicone only" is identical to silicone caulk, and it works very well, which is to say it's not particularly easy to remove. It can be done, but it's not easy.

Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 5:38PM
thedork

I got it now :) thank you!

Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 5:58PM
crampon

You might want to consider a non-adhesive solution - there are a number of companies that make T-shaped seals in a variety of materials to cover this gap. A couple possibilities:
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/47156-range-kleen-silicone-kleen-seam.html
Amazon search results for "oven gap guard"

Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 6:29PM
More Discussions
Fell in love and threw away kitchen design
Gardenweb has been my savior as I struggle through...
beachem
How to deal with high contractor bids based on your location?
In a way, I'm echoing what beachem is saying about...
andyscott
Colored Wine Glasses Truly Dishwasher Safe
We are looking for some nice wine glasses that are...
curmudgeon10
rmkitchen or segrbrown are either of you still on this forum?
hello, I have been searching the site for folks who...
ponderosafarm
Kitchen layout...make better use of current space and expand storage!
I'm hoping to get a few ideas on how to improve the...
rowan1099
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™