Bluestone for Counter?

hoodgradSeptember 3, 2010

While rummaging through remnants at the stone yard this morning, I came across a beautiful, simple grey slab. The sales person said it was bluestone and it is used for "outdoor applications" and pavers. She said it is soft (comparable to marble or soapstone)

Anyone ever used it for kitchen counters? I love the way it looks, but the Stone lady thought I was NUTS!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sara_the_brit_z6_ct

We have bluestone paving outside, and while admittedly we have hard winters so it is exposed to temperature extremes here, I wouldn't recommend it for a counter - it seems to flake a lot, with whole millimetre-thick-but-half-the width-of-the-slab sized pieces coming off now and then.

It looks wonderful, but I just don't see it for counters. Indoor flooring, if the slabs were carefully selected, perhaps.

Bookmark   September 3, 2010 at 1:51PM
rookie_2010

Hi,
From what I understand, it's a GREAT choice for a countertop but requires a little care, like all other stone. Google "bluestone for kitchen counters". An island was topped with it on a recent episode of This Old House. I LOVE bluestone, I have it all over my yard. I like how my daughter uses smaller rocks and scratches "pictures" into the bluestone stair treads on my porch and they just magically disappear. It's gotta be bullet proof. Here's a link for you, there's a lot of info on them out there, good luck!
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Construction-Contractors-1093/bluestone-countertops-kitchen-care.htm

Another, this one has pics and I'm EATING MY HEART OUT, why didn't I think of this?
http://www.countertopsofthefuture.com/Solid_Surface/Devonian/devonian.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Bluestone for Kitchen Counter

Bookmark   September 3, 2010 at 7:38PM
kitchenkelly

I have a bluestone backsplash and really love it. Never thought about it as a material for a countertop. Hmmmmmm.

Bookmark   September 4, 2010 at 11:11AM
More Discussions
Looking for a review of TCE Quartz
Looking to put in a Quartz countertop and was quoted...
maremurry
Resurrecting kitchen project Part II
My husband’s kitchen deadline is still May, but it...
margo456
Liebherr cs2062 door badly scratched
Hi everyone, I am considering the purchase of a "scratch...
Chris Treadwell
Faux marble countertops II
Here's the link to original post, but it's kind of...
lavender_lass
Baker Cherry Shaker doors vs IKEA Laxarby doors
Please advise on Baker doors. I am going to get IKEA...
enduring
Sponsored Products
Giverny Bath Rug 20" x 31" - BLUESTONE (BLUE) (BATH RUG 20X31)
$195.00 | Horchow
Bluestone Jacquard Egyptian Cotton Towel Set
$29.99 | zulily
8-button Tufted Diva Bluestone Headboard
Overstock.com
Martini Mosaic Piazza Bluestone Glass 12-inch Square Tile Sheets (Set of 10)
Overstock.com
Bluestone Cotton Rod Pocket Drape Window Treatment
$21.95 | Bellacor
Zebulun Blue 18 x 18 Patterned Throw Pillow
$57.95 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™