Install vinyl plank flooring under cabinets?

CamGSeptember 9, 2013

Hi,
We are nearing completion of our house, but the cabinets are on backorder. I am going to install the vinyl plank flooring in the kitchen and much of the main floor. During this delay, the builder has suggested I lay this before the cabinets, and then set the cabinets on top of it. Certainly this would be easier than trimming around cabinets and the island. The vinyl planks are apparently extremely durable, so I'm not terribly concerned about them getting damaged. And I suppose if we change flooring in the future and I need to rip out the stuff, I could always just cut the vinyl right at the toe kick. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CamG

Nevermind, apparently this would void the warranty.

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 2:28PM
cparlf

I see you learned not to, our install goes the day after tomorrow, November 7th. We are using Tarkett Transcend. For the entire main living area, kitchen, den, dining room, 1/2 bath and entry foyer.

My GC and everyone says "good luck on that". But I know its the right thing to do........isn't it?

Bookmark   November 5, 2013 at 4:15PM
suzanne_sl

Setting your cabinets on top of the flooring would void the warranty?

Bookmark   November 5, 2013 at 11:07PM
ILoveRed

We are using a glue down Mannington vinyl in an office remodel on a slab. Our cabinets will go over the vinyl.

This thread scared me so I called my flooring company just now. She said that the cabinets should go over the flooring as planned unless it is a floating floor which ours is not.

She told me Tarkett Transcend is a floating floor. Do not put cabinets over this.

Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 12:11PM
More Discussions
Ikea Process?
We're re-thinking things and are now leaning towards...
annaw_123
Here's as close to a reveal as I may ever get... :)
I'm not going to call this a reveal because I am not...
crcollins1_gw
Aditya Industries Stainless Steel Sink
Anyone ever heard of Aditya Industries as a supplier...
burbmomoftwo
How can I improve this layout?
How can I change this layout and still keep the sink...
houserookie
Week 41: As we head into spring, what would you do to make space?
Tomorrow is March 1st. We can really, no longer say...
CEFreeman_GW
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™