Induction teppanyaki Q.

eleenaSeptember 10, 2012

I know that AEG Electrolux has one but the rest are electric, as far as as I know. However, AEG is 36" and I need a 12"-15" unit.

I am sure someone will come up with it sooner or later but is it worth waiting for?

The electric ones use a lot of electricity, probably, but the new models will probably be very expensive at first, so I won;t be saving any $$$.

Thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Angie_DIY

Is there any reason to think that using induction to heat the cooking surface will be more efficient than using conventional heaters?

For induction hobs, the US DOE rates induction as more efficient (84% absolute efficiency) than conventional disk elements (74.2% absolute efficiency). Thus, you may expect to use ~12% less electricity with induction.

However, much of this has to do with the fact that induction doesn't waste heat warming anything but your pot, i.e., won't heat the surface of the cooktop or the surrounding air. In the case of a teppanyaki, the whole point is to heat your cooktop (in this case, a literal "cooktop.") You may save a little from not having to heat the thermal mass of the heating elements themselves, but I wouldn't expect big savings here. In short: not worth waiting for induction.

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 2:28PM
weedmeister

An induction teppanyuki would not be using resistance elements to heat the surface.

IIRC, some company in Europe was producing an induction oven. It used a cast iron bottom that was heated with induction.

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 4:15PM
eleena

In a hob, the element below the glass surface is producing an electromagnetic field that "works" on your cookware if it close enough.

The entire teppanyaki surface serves as a large "pan" in a way.

It is not heating itself, something is heating it, right?

If it is induction, then again, the elements are producing electromagnetic fields to heat the surface while with regular electric, they are "coils" of a sort, aren't they?

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 6:54PM
More Discussions
School me on galley kitchen layout!
So I've tried to start learning from the experts here...
red_argyle
Here's as close to a reveal as I may ever get... :)
I'm not going to call this a reveal because I am not...
crcollins1_gw
Which Marble-Like Quartz with Ikea Adel Cabinets?
I'm trying to decided which Quartz Counter tops would...
cindyhg
The Kitchen Designer Landscape
There seems to be a few scenarios out there. Some I...
denizenx
Kitchen Layout opinions
Hi, due to some plan changes (for expense reasons)...
sfstanek1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™