What have I done to my granite?!?!

buildinvaSeptember 18, 2013

Help!!! I noticed a few oil marks on my granite and wanted to get them off before I do the Bulletproof sealer. I googled and read about doing a baking soda / water potice overnight, so I did that. Then I rinsed the baking soda away and waited for the water mark to evaporate. Now the spots feel scratchy!!! I have rinsed several times and wiped it clean and they still feel this way. Not all the granite, just the spots where I used the baking soda! Yikes!!! What have I done? How can I fix it? Ugh, I'm so upset.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Trebruchet

Your granite can probably be easily buffed back by a professional. The problem for a DIY'er is the cost of the machine and the cost of the polish and/or diamond pads. Then there's knowing just what to do to.

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 3:19PM
ali80ca

Buildinva

I managed to take the finish off my bathroom countertop and it feels the same (who knew that rust remover could be so harsh...duh!). It is a nice countertop (silestone) and that patch is now covered with a conch shell...lol. Not the best solution but it works for now! Easier to do in a bathroom than in a kitchen though! Hope you manage to get it fixed :)

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 3:31PM
debrak2008

That is scary that baking soda would do that. I thought baking soda was a gentle cleaner.

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 4:43PM
ali80ca

True, I never would have thought that baking soda could harm anything!

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 5:12PM
edeevee

Are you sure you've made scratches IN the granite, or might you have a residue ON TOP after using the baking soda? We have a low grade granite in a powder room. A few months after it was installed I noticed that the sheen had dulled in spots near the faucet handles. I tried a few different cleaners but nothing brought back the shine. Then I saw someone post (here I think) that it's impossible to remove the finish from granite, so I took a closer look. It was just hard water deposits. I grabbed a razor blade and spent two minutes scraping and -voila!- good as new.

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 8:07PM
debrak2008

I too use a razor blade to get off mineral deposits.

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 8:23PM
More Discussions
Backsplash 'Rules'/Design Principals for Cohesion
Hi all! Still no reveal and yes still searching for...
autumn.4
Feedback on cabinet insert prices
Our cabinet builder gave us the following prices for...
Trish Welham
Would this open shelf look OK between the wall oven and range hood?
I need a quick decision made so DH can carry on with...
laughablemoments
New Layout Help Please
Here's a first go of a new layout. We eat many meals...
sebandninasmom
Kitchen Cabinet pricing - what would you do?
I had had a few quotes done for my kitchen cabinets:...
petralikesyoga
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™