Custom Cabinet Maker in DC/MD-Area?

dckitremSeptember 1, 2011

I've finally read it enough times on garden web so I am going to get a quote for custom cabinets. Is anyone aware of a place that makes cabinets in the greater DC metro area (MD and VA included?) Or opinions of a place to stay away from would also be welcome. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beaglesdoitbetter1

Replying since no one else chimed in, although I've made this recommendation a billion times already :)

My kitchen cabinet maker, Dutch Wood Kitchens, is in Myerstown PA, a little bit of a drive from you, but he's going to Washington to do someone else's so he'd probably go there to do yours too. He's extremely affordable and does exquisite work but he's also very busy and booked until I think Dec.

At any rate, if that works w/ your time line and you wanted to take a drive, I cannot recommend Dutch Wood highly enough.

Bookmark   September 1, 2011 at 5:24PM
Mercymygft

Ha! Beagles, I was just gonna recommend Dutch Wood...!!

Bookmark   September 1, 2011 at 6:14PM
barbcollins

Monumental Construction Co - Jefferson, MD www.monumentalconstruction.com - Not cheap but does excellent work. Has worked in the White House.

Watkins Cabinet Company; Barnesville MD - http://watkinscabinetcompany.com/ - Has been in business for almost 60 years. They have a great reputation. They did my MIL's kitchen 23 years ago, and the cabinets have held up well considering they get A LOT of abuse.

Bookmark   September 1, 2011 at 10:01PM
billy_g

We just moved back into our house in Chevy Chase, MD after a long renovation. We bought custom cabinets for the kitchen, bath vanities, and bookcases and cabinets for the living and dining rooms. The cabinets were custom Amish cabinets and the kitchen designer/cabinetmaker rep is Laura McGinnis in Arlington, VA. Laura was great and the cabinets are gorgeous. We went with white painted cabinets with inset doors in the kitchen and baths, and cherry cabinets in living/dining rooms. We had a lot of difficult angles and spaces and everything was just right. Laura is a big believer in maximizing space and efficiency while preserving a nice look.

Below is Laura's website (although she should update it with photos of our place!)

Billy

Here is a link that might be useful: Laura McGinnis Design/Cabinets

Bookmark   September 2, 2011 at 12:56AM
cabinetsbyalan

You may try and google custom cabinetmaker in the area you live. If nothing else you will get many ideas from different websites.

Bookmark   September 3, 2011 at 9:27AM
nyyankeesfan

Yep try Dutch Wood Kitchens,in Myerstown PA, we were very happy with them.

Bookmark   September 3, 2011 at 2:55PM
joaniepoanie

last year our bathroom designer used Carriage Hill Cabinetry in Frederick for a custom vanity, mirrors, and medicine chest. They did a beautiful job. A coworker used Watkins for her kitchen remodel and the pictures were gorgeous. I got an estimate from them for our kitchen, but decided it was too much too spend for our tract neighborhood. spent the money in the bathroom because I couldn't find what I wanted in stores or online. Good luck!

Bookmark   September 4, 2011 at 10:29AM
dckitrem

Thank you all for the recommendations!!! I have some homework to do!!

Bookmark   September 7, 2011 at 9:53PM
More Discussions
Week 45: He'p me!
He'p me! I have no idea what to ask about this week,...
CEFreeman_GW
Honed Vermont Danby marble countertop owners... Love it or leave it???
I am hoping to understand people's experience who have...
Pippin
Anyone used solid surface backsplash with granite countertops?
I am considering doing full backsplash in Corian (or...
Carol Vesier
White on White & other (mis) Matched Kitchens
I was at a friend's house, an artist, last week showing...
Carrie B
How much has your Danby Marble countertops scratched?
Still looking for he holy grail of countertops… back...
Pippin
Sponsored Products
Campania International Three's Company Garden Statue - A-482 - NATURAL
$39.99 | Hayneedle
Carnival Aviary Ovo Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Carlton Carbon Black Paint Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
Illume Lighting Under Cabinet Lighting 12 in. LED White Flextape with Plug-In
$38.99 | Home Depot
Campania International Butterflies Are Free Cast Stone Bird Bath - B-145-AL
$269.99 | Hayneedle