Remember my post about details - here's one we might have missed

sjhockeyfan325September 28, 2013

We have a 10-foot island in an open-plan room. There are no appliances other than the drawer microwave in the island - no sink either (condo with concrete floors, can't be changed).

Are we required by code to have multiple power outlets in the island, or do power outlet requirements apply only to the wall? (We have plans for one outlet with 2 or 3 plugs and a USB port or two)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Outlets are required in a fixed in place island. Best to check with electrician or inspector about how many. Around here I'd usually be including a minimum of two, some inspectors could require 4.

    Bookmark   September 28, 2013 at 11:45AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sophie Wheeler

Currently, you are required to only have one GFI outlet from one of the small appliance circuits. But with a 10' island, it would be a safety hazard to not have outlets somewhere close to both ends. The spirit behind the requirement is so that small appliances don't use extension cords draped everywhere. If you ever want to entertain and use the island as a buffet, it's best to have enough electrical on it to run the warmers, crockpots, and blenders that will be in use. I'd do a quad close to both ends, and maybe even a popup in the middle.

That means you will need a dedicated circuit for your MW, and the GFI protected outlets from part of your 2 required small appliance circuits. Because electrical useage has done nothing but increase, I'd go ahead and have outlets from the second small appliance circuit as well. Or maybe outlets from one of the small appliance circuits plus a run of another island only GFI small appliance circuit. You're trying to use the two (or three) circuits to avoid overloading any one with demands. It's never fun just when the party is starting to have to go and flip a breaker and then try to re-arrange all of the juice suckers to not pop it again.

    Bookmark   September 28, 2013 at 11:50AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You should look at the specific applicable codes for whereever you live. In California, one is required if the island is greater than 24"x12". If you have a rangetop or sink on the island, then you need two.

See 210.52.C.2-5 below:

California 2010 Electrical Code

    Bookmark   September 28, 2013 at 11:54AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Faucet for kitchen remodel
I am having trouble finding the right faucet to go...
Help on Cabinet Approach / Selection
Hi, I've actively scoured the forum for useful tidbits...
Why are my granite edges lighter than the top?
Perhaps some of you recall my ordeal with my kitchen...
Compatible island hood for Whirlpool inline blower
Hi all, new poster here. I am about to renovate my...
Help with kitchen layout - main issue is where to put the ovens
I need to finalize my kitchen design so all feedback/suggestions...
Sponsored Products
Shires Equestrian Rubber Jointed Dee Bit - 567-4.5
$25.99 | Hayneedle
Safavieh Handmade Moroccan Cambridge Ivory Wool Rug (9' x 12')
Bunn 10-cup Thermal Home Brewer
Chevron Ikat Teal Giclee Apothecary Clear Glass Table Lamp
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
King Sham - WHITE/NAVY
$221.00 | Horchow
Windham Old Bronze Mini Pendant
$192.00 | Bellacor
Sunburst Coco Door Mat
$29.50 | FRONTGATE
So Pretty Jewelry Stand
$22.99 | Dot & Bo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™