Unlacquered or uncoated brass bar faucet?

californiagirlSeptember 6, 2012

I am trying to source a brass bar faucet with a living finish, one that will tarnish to a dull brass. Newport makes faucets in this finish but it is a special order with a four week lead time. Rohl can obtain their Country line (made by Nicolazzi in Italy) in a raw polished brass, but again, it's a custom order.

Has anybody found a manufacturer who stocks uncoated brass faucets?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grlwprls

I had an Herbeau brass faucet in my old house. $$$, but it wasn't a custom order that I recall. Purchased at Faucet Direct, IIRC.

Best thing to clean it with - by the way - a paste called Shedazzle. Much easier than brass-o or the like. I only polished my faucet on rare occasions. But I always had to watch my MIL around it because she was crazy with the bleach in my white Shaw's sink - destroyed my brass disposal flange with her obsessive cleaning!

Bookmark   September 6, 2012 at 1:41PM
brickeyee

"one that will tarnish to a dull brass."

Until ANY acid touches it.

Even the mildest acids will strip the "living finish" back to bare metal.

It will be "living" all right. looking different just about every day before and after you wipe it clean.

Bookmark   September 6, 2012 at 2:50PM
grlwprls

Yes, you probably should know that it won't tarnish to a lovely even dull patina. My range handles had speckles on them where god knows what from the pot hit them. The faucet had splotches. That said, I loved them. But having true living brass in your kitchen is probably harder than dealing with marble etching :-)

Funny thing, for all the bellyaching about brass that still goes on - the young woman who bought my house *loved* that brass faucet. It's nothing like the horrid 80's brass, for sure.

Bookmark   September 6, 2012 at 4:19PM
californiagirl

Probably should have said that we already have in use an uncoated brass bar sink and know all about the reality of patina. In an old house patina helps blend new spaces into the original ones, so we prefer materials that "age".

Forgot about Herbeau, probably because the faucets are so pricey, but they might be in stock and that might be worth it.

Bookmark   September 6, 2012 at 11:35PM
More Discussions
How old will I be?
How long did your kitchen remodel take, from the tearing...
ryseryse_2004
scrappy25 renovation Part 4, final reveal, white inset/soapstone
Finally got some "completed" pictures, please...
scrappy25
Is this what a mitered granite edge should look like?
We paid our granite fabricators for a mitered granite...
snookers1999
How to deal with high contractor bids based on your location?
In a way, I'm echoing what beachem is saying about...
andyscott
soapstone sinks
We are considering installing a soapstone farmhouse...
arch123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™