How to paint thermofoil cabs

nosoccermomSeptember 21, 2012

Has anybody ever successfully painted thermofoil cabinets? If yes, any advice? I'm trying to paint a bathroom vanity.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
live_wire_oak

Some people have peeled off the thermofoil and then used a shellac based primer on the MDF under it. If what's there is holding on for dear life, then you can always try scuff sanding the surface, using a high grip oil based primer, and then two coats of an acrylic enamel with high hide and adhesion properties like the new Behr Premium Plus paint.

Bookmark   September 21, 2012 at 12:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CEFreeman

I have w/ the method above. I used BM's STIX primer and BM's Cabinet Coat. (These used to be made by Inselx, but BM bought them.)

I'm also considering Carmel Colors. They claim their product adheres to absolutely everything. I keep reading great things about them.

I've been reading a blog by someone named Patty Henning, who has really put her heart and soul into instructions and how-tos. Here's the link to her shop. She says there's no tax if you're online, discounts on shipping, plus she gets credit for any sale. Her code is PattyH. She's out of Michigan, and being from MI myself, I felt supportive. :) Her store is Fabulous Finishes.

Disclaimer: I've not yet tried this method, nor have I any affiliation with this person. I have, however, read everything she's written and plan to purchase some of their toner for antiquing some furniture. I'm even considering painting my fridge.

Bookmark   September 21, 2012 at 1:21PM
More Discussions
How to deal with high contractor bids based on your location?
In a way, I'm echoing what beachem is saying about...
andyscott
Close matches to Conestoga popular White paint colors
We often get asked whose paints Conestoga uses on their...
Cabinet Joint
Kraftmaid vs RTA (barkers, Scherrs)
My venture to update my kitchen keeps taking a back...
bichonlover
New Layout Help Please
Here's a first go of a new layout. We eat many meals...
sebandninasmom
Kitchen Cabinet pricing - what would you do?
I had had a few quotes done for my kitchen cabinets:...
petralikesyoga
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™