Anyone who has a stainless steel top stove

arbrySeptember 25, 2012

This may be a stupid question but for those who have a stainless steel top I was wondering how you clean it? If something boils over and burns what do you use to remove the stain? I will soon be in the market for a new stove and want to be prepared. I know you can't use an abrasive on stainless, does oven cleaner work or do you have another secret? - do tell.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
april_love

Hi arbry,

I have three methods that I use:

(1) Dishsoap and water for general, everyday wipedowns
(2) Baking soda and water for medium cleaning
(3) Barkeepers Friend for heavy duty cleaning

I chose the stainless top so that all of the appliances would "match." The grates tend to scratch the top of the stove every time they are moved and put back - whether it be a large pot that shifts or for cleaning.

Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 10:15AM
cat_mom

You can also try Dawn Power Dissolver (spray gel). I had to order it directly from the P&G online store because I couldn't find it locally any more. It works well on baked-on grease (terrific on Pyrex baking dishes--spray, let sit, clean-up is much easier!), sugary stuff, etc.

Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 10:49AM
slush1422

I use a sponge with dish soap (soft side only) to pick up any big stuff, then wipe down with those stainless steel wipes maybe once a week. Then wipe down with a soft cloth and it looks brand new after!

Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 11:09AM
angel411

I use Weimann's SS cleaner. If it's something burnt on I'll let it sit and soak a while. It usually comes right up. For easy spills, I use a damp microfiber cloth.

Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 11:46AM
jscout

I just use methods 1 and 3 from april_love's list. I use method 1 for more than 95% of the cleaning. Method 3 takes care of the rare harder-to-remove crusty stuff. I have open burners, so spillovers never get burnt or baked on. Some splatter does get crusty and stuck on if I leave it for a couple of days. But simply wetting it will usually loosen it up. Personally, I think stainless steel is one of the easiest surfaces to clean. It's only downfall is scratching. Cleaning with the grain helps.

Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 11:52AM
finestra

Scrub with the grain with a green scrubby with soap and water and then wipe with a hot rag. Go with the grain unless you don't care about scratches.

Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 12:14PM
PRO
Rachiele, LLC

I have had the best luck with Bayes stainless cleaner. Easy to use and it does not water spot nor does it show fingerprints.

Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 6:24AM
mailfox7

I soak and wipe with handy wipes for light to medium spills.
Hard to clean spills easily come up with oven cleaner.

Look closely at models in the showroom. I noticed some were covered in scratches by mere design of the stove grates. Mine did not, and helped make my decision. Now, after 3 years, no scratches yet from grates, but I do lift and not slide those heavy grates.

Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 8:20AM
More Discussions
Kitchen reveals and DAT threads with missing photos and text
I’ve been looking at Gardenweb threads that have...
mudhouse
Those tall coil spring type faucets: Hard to clean?
Like this: http://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/6382868/Residential-Coil-Spring-Brushed-Nickel-Faucet-f8de8fec-40cb-4993-a19b-7903391cc178_600.jpg (How...
raenjapan
Soapstone with runnels: How are they holding up?
If you have runnels in your soapstone, could you tell...
leavemeout
Where to keep my oil near cooktop
So I am in the layout phase and trying to figure out...
Dietitian
School me on galley kitchen layout!
So I've tried to start learning from the experts here...
red_argyle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™