Cabinets going in! Couple of questions...

phiwwySeptember 18, 2012

Cabinet install started yesterday. So far, I love everything. We have one long wall (with a range top, modernaire hood (which I unwrapped and inspected, it's perfect), prep sink and of course uppers and lowers. The placement of the lowers is being determined by the opening on the back of the modern aire hood - has to go between the studs.

The placement of the uppers is determined by a rise in the ceiling height.

I have to decide how i want the ends of the uppers to line up with the lowers, or not. there will be a filler somewhere in the upper run and also in the lower run.

On the ends of the uppers at the far end, I will have a decorative bracket, 1" thick. Then the countertop will ultimately have a slight overhang on the right and left ends.

My question is - should the brackets line up with the edge of the lowers? In which case, the tile backsplash will end at the bracket, then come out 1" farther beneath the bracket til it hits the countertop.

Or should I go with a straight backsplash edge?

The uppers are not mounted yet until I decide, so I can't visualize or post a photo.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
live_wire_oak

In a straight run with no corners, there shouldn't be any fillers. Upper cabinet runs should always end where the lowers do, or be slightly smaller. Decorative corbels should only be used on "hutch" or "mantle" type cabinetry to create the look of a separate piece of furniture, usually with a separate depth or color to differentiate the piece from the rest of the cabinet run. Full height backsplashes generally line up with the uppers, with a 4" piece following the counter out to it's end on the lower run and sides.

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 10:18AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
phiwwy

Thanks for your reply. Can you explain the last sentence please? the 4" part I'm not understanding....

Unfortunately I have to have fillers :-( or it just won't work out. Not sure how it happened, but it did. I will try for a spice pullout on the upper one, the location is perfect for that.

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 10:24AM
More Discussions
Gap between backsplash and over-the-range microwave?
Hi, all. Does anyone have an over-the-range microwave...
hjs
Need floorplan advice/help
Hello everyone! Looking for floorplan advice on our...
K L
What "Marble" Substitute Did You Go With?
I'm on the fence, whether I would be OK with marble...
aloha2009
Specific stacked upper cab questions
I'm looking for input as I get closer to finalizing...
melis918
OT - Any Walking Dead Fans..?
Very much looking forward to tonight's episode..:)
oldbat2be
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™