Storing food items in base cabinets

czarinalexSeptember 21, 2012

We are doing a minor renovation to our kitchen. We'll be adding an 6 foot island. I'd like to store food items(cans, bottles, boxed items, etc) in the island. Any pictures to share so I can visualize what kind of drawers/doors I should be looking at?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosie

No pix, but my 12" wide vertical pullout is excellent for keeping bottled condiments, vinegars, oils, etc., very accessible at point of use.

Mine's Ikea and the tall bottom shelf pulls out with the door, then 2 other shelves above pull out separately. I was afraid I wouldn't like it, but it's been excellent. The top shelf is shallow and holds lots of those little things like plastic containers for garlic and shallots, tubes of wasabi and anchovy paste, packets of gelatin and yeast, sauce thickeners, etc., etc.

Bookmark   September 21, 2012 at 10:39AM
czarinalex

Thanks Rosie! I'll be going to Ikea sometime in the next few weeks to look at their cabinets and accessories. I'm thinking of all drawer units but what you describe sounds interesting. I'll be sure to take a look at them.
Anyone else with pictures? Please?

Bookmark   September 21, 2012 at 2:26PM
desertsteph

you could do a drawer similar to this one - have either 'side' open a bit (could use a dowel rod along each side to keep them in place) so you can easily see what you have (or don't have). have a 'regular' (pretty much) drawer space between the 2 to store large jars, bottles, cans (v8 juice, other juices, drinks).

some on here store their can goods in drawers and even dry goods. You could have a pasta/noodle drawer, 1 for mixes (store on their sides so you can still easily see what it is).

you could use a drawerstack similar to this one for snacks? canned drinks on the bottom, chips etc in the top drawer. Or just 2 separate regular drawers for them.

I'm hoping to have a 'drawer' like the bottom one (a bit shorter) w/no 'inner upper drawer' for 2L pop bottles and gallon water jugs.

Bookmark   September 21, 2012 at 9:37PM
More Discussions
Gap between backsplash and over-the-range microwave?
Hi, all. Does anyone have an over-the-range microwave...
hjs
Question on size of wall cabinets flanking cooktop
I'm planning 45" wall cabinets for my uppers....
seb225
Week 44: Spring, spring, SPring, SPRING dreams!
I am having spring fever. I can't wait until it's...
CEFreeman_GW
Specific stacked upper cab questions
I'm looking for input as I get closer to finalizing...
melis918
Question for those who have Painted Conestoga Cabinets?
Curious if you went with mdf or paint grade center...
aries61
Sponsored Products
Landis File Cabinet
Overstock.com
First Lady Jewelry Chest
$369.00 | FRONTGATE
Contemporary 12-inch Rectangular Stainless Steel Cabinet Bar Pull Handle (Case o
Overstock.com
The Farmhouse Chair - Bend Seating
$495.00 | HORNE
Meditub 30x54 Left Drain Biscuit Soaking Walk-In Bathtub
Beyond Stores
Block Party´┐Ż Rectangular: 5 Ft. 4 In. x 7 Ft. 8 In. Kid Essentials - Early Child
$255.95 | Bellacor
Uttermost Danube 8 X 10 Rug - Dark Lava
Beyond Stores
Steve Silver Candice 5 Piece Square Counter Table Set in Oak & Black
Beyond Stores
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™