After Stainless (article in WSJ)?

sheilaaus122September 8, 2012

I know this has been mulled over before, but I saw this while surfing the web from the WSJ (Wall Street Journal) - After Stainless - what?

I was excited to see what they would suggest as I do have white appliances. When I modified I kept the appliances which at that time were probably about 7 or 8 years old(mini renovation several years ago where we changed countertops, hardware, and removed soffits and added molding etc but did not replace cabinets or appliances)....and I guess I just don't love stainless so I didnt feel the need to change out the appliances. Also, it has been my experience that they sure dont make things the way they used to; translate that into why should I swap out totally functional appliances with something newer, cuter that will probably flunk out sooner. I figure I will wait until they act up to replace.

Lately though I guess with an eye towards re-sale in the next few years, I think I came to realize that if the appliances were stainless, the kitchen/house would probably be more appealing to buyers ~even on a subconscious level ,which is what I think home sales are based on.

Thinking about this, I am still in no rush to replace but would love to have some sort of idea or plan in mind for when it does come time to replace.

Unfortunately, I didn't really see anything all that compelling in the article that called my name but i am posting it bc I sure did find it timely and thought you all might enjoy as well.

Ever hopeful of latching onto the next new trend :) enjoy the article.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to article

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
youngdeb

We bought our white glass fridge from Jenn-Air (whirlpool) a few years ago, because I wasn't into the giant hulking grey thing in my kitchen and our old one starting to konk out. (The old one was S/S.)

We get so many compliments, it's lovely and bright and shiny. It shows fingerprints too, but not as badly as the stainless. That said, I really don't think that you should rush to replace things that work for any reason. Seems so wasteful!

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 9:38AM
MrsShayne

Wow young deb, that's an awesome looking fridge! I would have considered white appliances if they looked like yours (and were in my budget) hahaha...

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 9:48AM
MrsShayne

Wow young deb, that's an awesome looking fridge! I would have considered white appliances if they looked like yours (and were in my budget) hahaha...

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 9:49AM
angela12345

Sorry Sheila, Remodelfa beat you to it ...

Guess it's official... Stainless appliances are passe

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0917430231908.html?27

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 9:57AM
More Discussions
Close matches to Conestoga popular White paint colors
We often get asked whose paints Conestoga uses on their...
Cabinet Joint
How to deal with high contractor bids based on your location?
In a way, I'm echoing what beachem is saying about...
andyscott
Induction cooktop > no slow cooker?
Can the low settings, timer and a good pot replace...
anniel58
36" cabinet for 32" fridge: future proofing or too much compromise?
Hi everyone! Making final decisions for our cabinet...
kiwigem
knobs or pulls on cabinets - function vs. look
Hi all, We are still slowly inching along with our...
remodel-mama
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™