Does sunlight fade any types of countertop?

pumpkinhouseSeptember 2, 2013

I am planning a southern window over some of my kitchen countertop. Should I take that into consideration when choosing a countertop material? Do any types fade or change color?
One of the building stone places we visited said that newly quarried stone (in that case, limestone) will change color over time. So facades facing south will "buff out" as she called it, more than the northern side. Is this the same for newly quarried countertop stone?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oldryder

I am a fabricator.

Sunlight will fade quartz countertops of any brand. Dark colors are faded noticably in just a few weeks of direct sunlight. We fabbed and installed Cambria for several years and have replaced kitchens that faded. Kudo's to Cambria for standing behind their product as the replacement was at no cost to the consumer.

A very few granite colors will fade after months or years in direct sunlight (stored outside in full sun.) We have never had a complaint about fading inside a house. The only watch out for the consumer on granite is that their kitchen not be made from one slab that was on the top and others that were buried. Any decent fabricator will make sure of this as a matter of course.

Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 2:24PM
rebecca3142

I was planning on quartz for my countertops, and now I am concerned about the fading for the perimeter. There are four windows around the perimeter of my kitchen - are there going to be squares of fading where the windows are? I am going to be using a dark grey color.

Would dark grey or black granite be better? Thanks!

Bookmark   November 13, 2013 at 12:16AM
live_wire_oak

Windows these days have UV blocking coatings that will minimize the fading. But, if you plan on open windows a lot, don't choose a dark quartz.

Bookmark   November 13, 2013 at 8:00AM
Linelle

I had no idea that quartz fades.

I have dark gray Caesarstone on all the counters in my G-shaped kitchen. I have an east-facing window and in the summer the sun shines on my peninsula in the mornings. Not endlessly, not a steady pounding stream of sunlight. An hour or so of moving sunlight. There's been no fading after two summers.

This isn't to say that quartz won't fade, esp. a dark one. But mine gets exposed to sun and seems to have held its original color.

Bookmark   November 13, 2013 at 10:00AM
Trebruchet

As far as granite fading in the sun, check out the countertops the next time you're in Las Vegas. I've got a picture of a doozy, but I can't find it right now.

Fading shouldn't be an issue for granite or estone properly installed indoors.

Bookmark   November 14, 2013 at 6:49PM
More Discussions
soapstone sinks
We are considering installing a soapstone farmhouse...
arch123
Alternate granite idea to replace Cambrian black I had been planning?
My DH is killing me. We are doing white cabinets and...
happyallison
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
Dishwasher in white, black or panel??
My 17 year old dishwasher needs to be replaced. It...
shellking
Kitchen layout...make better use of current space and expand storage!
I'm hoping to get a few ideas on how to improve the...
rowan1099
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™