mercury glass light fixtures

localeaterSeptember 9, 2012

I love the look of mercury glass fixtures. I do however need diffuse lighting so I was leaning toward white or opal glass. Any thoughts on whether mercury glass would provide diffuse light or if it would direct the light downward(like a metal shade would)?

Something like this

Traditional Pendant Lighting design by Candelabra

Contemporary Ceiling Lighting design by New York Furniture And Accessories West Elm

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
remodelfla

I don't know but I LOVE the second one!

Bookmark   September 9, 2012 at 11:29AM
MuleHouse

I don't know either but my love is for the FIRST one. : )

Bookmark   September 9, 2012 at 12:25PM
annsch

We just put these mercury glass pendants in:

They give direct light with no diffusion. It looks like your first choice is diffused light because you can see the bulb through the glass.

Bookmark   September 9, 2012 at 3:34PM
breezygirl

I, too, love mercury glass and considered all three of those pendants shown! My concern with the first is that the light would throw off weird shadows. I love the shape so much, but I just wasn't sure the shape was right for my space.

I saw the second fixture at WE last fall. The glass pattern was very different than that pic from their website. It looked more even and with less mercury-ness to hide the glare. (The more clear the glass, the more chance of bare bulb glare.) If they hadn't been a tad too wide for my space, I think I would have gone with them and risked the glare factor.

Ann's JY fixtures seemed a bit too whimsical for me after lusting after them for months. Dang...they look stunning in her kitchen!! Plus, like you, I need my pendants to provide diffuse light rather than down light like those.

If it comes down to the first two for you, consider what the hanging material. Do you want black fabric cord or white plastic mod cord? The first evokes a more vintage look, while the WE pendants are more modern and sleek.

I don't think I've been any help after all those words. Have fun deciding!

Bookmark   September 9, 2012 at 4:28PM
localeater

Thanks all but I am so confused I opened a new thread with a broader question to hopefully figure out my lighting dilemma. Please come over there and help out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Localeater's lighting woes

Bookmark   September 9, 2012 at 7:08PM
More Discussions
Two toned kitchen love em or hate em?
I am loosing my mind. I originally wanted a dark shaker...
abick2
Northern Jersey/Big Apple
I am going to be in this area for a couple weeks. I...
a2gemini
IKEA kitchen nearly done- so delayed
We've been extremely delayed!! The granite is going...
Chinchette
Did they sell me a bad piece of soapstone?
Hello soapstone owners: I paid $1,400 (including installation)...
leavemeout
Week 41: As we head into spring, what would you do to make space?
Tomorrow is March 1st. We can really, no longer say...
CEFreeman_GW
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™