New DW: now or later

localeaterSeptember 27, 2012

Our kitchen remodel is in progress and of course our expected expenses have morphed. Originally we were only going to replace our stove and hood. Then we decided that we should really get a counter depth refrigerator because it would help with aisle clearances and we wanted the sleeker look. The DW is one we could procrastinate on. We currently have a stainless steel DW with a full console, the console is black.

Current DW does an OK job, it is approx 8 years old, it is a GE triton. It does not have a stainless interior and some of the racks are peeling.

How big of a deal is it to replace a DW later with stone countertops?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
debrak_2008

We are keeping our DW for a few more years. If you attach it to the cabinets on the sides it should not be a problem. If you clips are on the top currently you can move them to the sides.

Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 9:37AM
lazy_gardens

It's no harder with stone than any other countertop.

It should not be attached to the countertop, it should be attached to the sides of the opening.

Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 10:21AM
ginny20

As long as you have standard height counters, you should be able to switch out later. My old counters were shorter than today's, so I was limited on which DW I could buy. I kept it in the remodel, and I fully expect to have no problem changing it later.

Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 10:23AM
youngdeb

Just make sure that whatever you do for the floor doesn't "trap" the dishwasher from the bottom...make sure you can slide it out.

We kept most of our appliances. If they work, I don't see the need to replace them!

Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 10:26AM
localeater

Thank you. It is good to know that I have this option to save money. Even though I WANT a new DW I don't NEED one. So, if it is easy to change out later I would rather do that and use some of the money to other wants, like maybe an upgraded faucet.

Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 11:56AM
More Discussions
Silgranit sink color for Alaska White granite?
In the ever-changing world that is my new build, I...
beeps
Delta arctic stainless faucet with Kraus ss sink
We are planning to buy a Krauss ss 30" or 32"...
poppy3212
Week 41: As we head into spring, what would you do to make space?
Tomorrow is March 1st. We can really, no longer say...
CEFreeman_GW
How many cabinet estimates do you get?
Uggh, I tried to search but am giving up. We are considering...
najames
Soapstone with runnels: How are they holding up?
If you have runnels in your soapstone, could you tell...
leavemeout
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™