Birch cabinetry

aimskitchenSeptember 24, 2012

We went to look at cabinetry again over the weekend, and while I was willing to settle for an alder or a red birch as an alternative to the painted cabinetry I love most (I know, totally different, but going for a vintage look and working for domestic harmony here), my husband most liked the birch samples. We brought a few samples home, and a honey stained birch with brown glaze actually looked best with the existing quartersawn oak buffet in the adjoining dining area that I've been trying to plan around. However, I don't know much about birch wood, its strength or durability for kitchen use. Does anyone know more about birch? The cabinetry line is Bertch Legacy.

Thanks all, for your help; you are keeping me from going completely mad during this project that has dragged on and on and not even started yet!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
localeater

Birch is lovely. It is a hardwood, though many people are confused and say it is a softwood. It has a tight grain. There is both yellow and white birch, the things I said are true for both. It can be difficult to stain and to not look splothcy, since you are not DIY this is not a concern for you. Yellow birch is more likely to take on a yellow orange hue with aging and UV exposure.

Bookmark   September 24, 2012 at 7:38AM
badgergal

We used Bertch Legacy cabinetry in a condo that we previously owned. The cabinet wood was birtch. They did not have any glaze on them and as I recall they were a natural finish. We were pleased with the quality of the cabinets. My daughter and her roommates lived there. When we sold the condo 5 years later, the cabinets where still as good as new. Here are a couple slightly distorted pictures from the realtors listing.

Bookmark   September 24, 2012 at 8:24AM
corgimum

We are using stained birch in our kitchen. We compared maple and birch and preferred the way birch took a stain. Maple was muddled and blotchy looking to us.

Bookmark   September 24, 2012 at 11:00AM
aimskitchen

Thanks so much for your responses, and for the great pictures! That really helps. I felt the same way about some of the maple stains, and they were a bit orangey for the room we're doing - though I do love the maple in one of my bathrooms. It's good to hear this is a good wood for cabinetry, and the vote of confidence for the cabinet company as well.

Bookmark   September 24, 2012 at 12:40PM
weissman

Natural red birch is gorgeous. It's what I have in my kitchen but I think it's considered a premium wood and more expensive than other birch.

Bookmark   September 24, 2012 at 12:52PM
aimskitchen

Weissman, I love natural red birch - was one of my favorites, but the regular with the brown glaze does work better with my other pieces. But I loved the grain, so beautiful!

Bookmark   September 24, 2012 at 7:44PM
More Discussions
Would this open shelf look OK between the wall oven and range hood?
I need a quick decision made so DH can carry on with...
laughablemoments
kitchen cabinets
I'm thinking about buying Mouser cabinets. Has anyone...
lmpotter
Induction cooktop > no slow cooker?
Can the low settings, timer and a good pot replace...
anniel58
Review our Kitchen Remodel
We are starting our first kitchen remodel and I wanted...
miraspasov
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™