Light near sink - ideas other than pendants and cans

lalitharSeptember 11, 2012

I am looking for ideas for light near the main sink that is not a pendant or a can. We have wood ceilings that are less than 8ft and I am loathe to cut holes for pendants or cans. The rest of the lights in the kitchen are schoo, house lights and we also have undercabinet LED lights. The sink will be white farmhouse and the countertops are soapstone. The small patch of adobe brick wall between the sink and Dutch door may be left bare..

Kitchen sink window�

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
localeater

Do you not want to have a ceiling fixture there at all? You could do a wall mounted light above or to the right. If you are concerned about task lighting, I would go above and I think a task light like one of these mixes nicely with the other schoolhouse lights

Traditional Kitchen design by Chicago Kitchen And Bath Rebekah Zaveloff

Traditional Kitchen design
If you are not as concerned about task lighting at the sink, I think a sconce between the dutch door and the sink would be awesome.
If you were doing a ceiling mount light then I think you could do a schoolhouse over the window, either semiflush or rod mounted like these pictures.

Traditional Kitchen design by San Francisco General Contractor Chris Donatelli Builders

Eclectic Kitchen design by Boston Kitchen And Bath Artisan Kitchens LLC
Due to the fact that we both have post and beam, lowish ceilings I posted a similar thread not too long ago, I am attaching the link in case it is helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: To light my sink

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 7:12AM
marcolo

Get a small surface mount that coordinates with your other fixtures.

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 8:39AM
p.ball2

I like the first picture that localeater posted. They blend nicely with the school house lights. My other suggestions would be the school house style light in a semi-flush mount.

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 9:57AM
trailrunnerbiker

How about a swivel arm wall mount ? That is what I did for task lighting on either side of my brick chimney. I love it and it gives great light right where you want it. c

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 11:03AM
Angie_DIY

I wanted to put a multi-light sconce on the wall above my sink. (My KD talked me out of it, arguing it would look too "bathroomey.") May work for you.

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 11:11AM
lalithar

I like the look of wall mounts swing arm type lights like the ones localeater and trail runner posted. Should I do 1 light or 2? The other lights in the kitchen are 2 flush mount school house lights from schoolhouse electric like the one below which are centered on the aisle. I still have to get something above the table near the windowseat.

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 11:20AM
More Discussions
Do you like your Viscont White granite counters?
Like so many others, I lust over Calcutta gold marble...
Nan57
Week 41: As we head into spring, what would you do to make space?
Tomorrow is March 1st. We can really, no longer say...
CEFreeman_GW
How high above countertop is the bottom of cabinets?
in a sink area? I have 18 inches above regular countertop...
Annette Holbrook
Kitchen dimensions/layout advice please
We're finally renovating but this isnt a major overhaul,...
jomonster8u
Stacked uppers?
Is it worth doing stacked uppers? I love the look but...
tigger9759
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™