Ideas for a way to open a regular cabinet door w/ my foot?

gale1965September 14, 2013

I have an aftermarket type slide out trash bin in a regular cabinet. I need a way to open the door (which is the type that is not inset, whatever that is called) with my foot. I'm pretty talented with my toes, if I do say so myself, but I can't squeeze them in between the door and the frame of the cabinet, and I really don't want to use my toes on the regular knob. I thought about using a finger pull type like the one linked and install it on the bottom of the door, but it has sharp corners and I am worried about people somehow smacking their ankles on it. I prefer one that doesn't require drilling into the outside part of the door and so far this is the only one I've seen that installs on the inside. Any other ideas?

Here is a link that might be useful: berenson finger pull

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
snoonyb

Use a touch latch.

Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 4:08AM
gale1965

Wouldn't a touch latch keep the door from being all the way closed though? Since there will be trash in there, I want to to not have a gap.

Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 4:31AM
debrak2008

By touch latch do you mean the type where you bump it and it opens? If so my friend has one and the cabinet does stay completely closed until you bump it.

Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 6:54AM
kksmama

It took a long time for 2 different workers to figure out how to get it working and it isn't perfect, but I had the utrusta from Ikea installed on my trash pullout and I love it. That and tapmaster at my prep sink are probably my favorite things, and I never would've heard of them if not for gw.

Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 7:22AM
palimpsest

You would have to drill but why not a small C-shape pull or cup pull? They are rounded, and you could get your toe in it. You could even get a wooden one and paint or stain to match the cabinets to blend it a bit. Still visible, but sometime function trumps the rest.

I actually just keep a piece of paper towel handy to open doors and drawers if I am going to get my hands dirty.

Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 9:26AM
snoonyb

"Wouldn't a touch latch keep the door from being all the way closed though? Since there will be trash in there, I want to to not have a gap."

"By touch latch do you mean the type where you bump it and it opens? If so my friend has one and the cabinet does stay completely closed until you bump it."

Exactly!
And if the contents become to heavy, install the "latch" in the center and 2 or more on either side W/O the plunger, which is the latch, to add spring relief.

Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 12:17PM
gale1965

I'll look for a touch latch and see if it would work. In my mind, you have to push the door to activate the touch latch and if you're pushing the door, it must not be all the way closed. Isn't that how it would be? If the door is all the way closed, it can't possibly be pushed. So that's why I'm confused.

Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 1:18PM
writersblock

No, it's not quite like that. I couldn't find the regular (non-electric) Utrusta mentioned above on the US ikea site right now (which doesn't mean it's not available), but they also have a heavy-duty electrical version now, specifically meant for heavy trash pullouts. No idea of how well it works--don't know anyone who has it yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Electrical Utrusta for trash pullouts

Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 1:39PM
gale1965

I looked too but I don't have a way to plug an opener in under this cabinet.

Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 2:08PM
writersblock

I know they sell the regular non-electric push latches, since that's the only way to open their Besta series wall unit components. They're just not on the website at the moment (common in ikea-land).

Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 2:21PM
gale1965

I'll look again later. There's no store here so I can only order ikea stuff online.

Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 2:28PM
mtnfever

I think the Ikea Besta Push Latch is what writersblock (in an eponymous moment perhaps? ;) ) was trying to think of.

I have this latch installed on my recycling pullout under the sink and it works very well. I have "old school" partial overlay doors with exposed hinges so I left on the hinges but just took out the screws. I installed the Besta on the floor of the cabinet since there was room next to the recycling pullout. I often use my toe (shod or not) to push on the spot where I know the latch is, and the door pops open a couple inches; enough room to get my toe, hand, or recycling object inserted to pull open the pull-out.

hth

Here is a link that might be useful: ikea besta latch

Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 3:09PM
writersblock

Yes, that's it. It was called UTRUSTA a couple of months ago. (I've been looking at them as a possibility for vanity drawers.)

It's interesting they changed the name, since now they use Utrusta in Europe as the category name for all the hardware for the new Metod kitchen cabinets. The push latch looks identical, only it's all white in the new line.

This post was edited by writersblock on Sat, Sep 14, 13 at 15:27

Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 3:25PM
snoonyb

You can measure the off-set with an automotive feeler gauge.
If you have felt felt bumper pads as silencers on the doors and drawers, you won't notice any increase in separation.

Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 3:27PM
More Discussions
New build Kitchen – layout for this space?
So, hi! Popping out of lurk mode because I’d really...
am_e
What does this tile say to you?
I am still in the planning stages of a small, U-shaped...
kelleg69
It starts with the sink... Kohler Stages 33 or 45?
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and just starting a kitchen...
ediblekitchen
Help with galley kitchen layout ... please.
Hi everyone! I am hoping you can help me with my layout...
ybchat67
top cutlery tray on Kitchen Aid Dishwasher
Is the extra (3rd) cutlery tray on the higher model...
ladypie
Sponsored Products
Sonneman | Vogue Small Pendant Light
$320.00 | YLighting
Premier I Connector by WAC Lighting
$4.00 | Lumens
Austin Harbor Gray Paint Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
Homelegance Grandover 6 Piece Panel Bedroom Set w/ Armoire
Beyond Stores
Vogue Ruffle 14-inch Decorative Throw Pillow
Overstock.com