Want to help me pick my little chunk of calacutta marble?!

homebuyer23September 2, 2013

I will have a small, 24" x 53" island/work table, coffee stained cherry wood. I will have a large U shaped perimeter with gray silestone counters and dove white beaded inset cabinets.

I have decided to go for this calacutta vagli marble on the island, honed. I'm in love with it!

I'm supposed to choose between the 2 sections they taped off. I'm not sure exactly why they taped where they did, but I'm pretty happy with the options from what I can see, I'm going to look at it in person this week.

Just curious which part you like? I think I know what I will choose, but would love opinions, my DH said he'd choose the opposite of what I'm thinking...

A or B?
Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kitch4me

I love A. It's bold and stands out! B is kind of plain.

Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 2:02AM
oldbat2be

Another vote for A. The combination sounds great!

Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 6:09AM
kksmama

A. I like the little dark area in the middle on the left. But B is lovely, too, and preferable if you need something quieter.

Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 6:40AM
arlosmom

definitely A!

Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 7:23AM
remodelfla

A...but I want to scoot it over ever so slightly to the left to capture the rest of that thick veining

Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 8:37AM
nosoccermom

For me, it probably would be B because the scale of the pattern seems more in scale with the finished island. Also, because I prefer a more quiet pattern.
However, the perspective seems off as the B piece is quite a bit smaller than A.

Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 10:32AM
homebuyer23

Nosoccermom, that's a good point, it is a small island, wonder if the bold piece will look odd? I hadn't thought of that.

I was definitely leaning toward A for the interest but my DH said B almost right away, it got me wondering.

Thanks for the opinions so far!

Yes I wish I could skooch A to the left a little and B to the right a little.
Perhaps I can, I'll ask when I go in person.
Not sure why A looks longer than B but it totally does. If its too long I'd ask to eliminate some of the plain side and if B is too short, I'd get more of the veining if we have to make it bigger so that's good.

Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 10:58AM
a2gemini

I think they are both pretty - if you go back - can you snag a picture profiling B for comparison - I do like the idea of moving A over a bit if possible.

Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 12:31PM
SaltLife631

A is more visually appealing to my eye however depending on the other elements in the kitchen B may work better in your space. I am in the camp that thinks bold veining is more attractive however I also believe quieter marbles definitely have a place and are attractive in their own right. If A is going to be the star of the show that is the piece I would choose.

Looking at the entire piece I believe A is taped off where it is in order to avoid what looks to be a chip in the upper right corner and B is taped of where it is because that corner is all usable space. Thus preserving the most possible space on the marble for other pieces. It can never hurt to ask if they will move the boxes in order to make you happy!

Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 1:15PM
joaniepoanie

A...but scooted over to include that thick portion of veining on the top left just on the other side of the tape. I'd scoot it over a foot or more.

Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 3:16PM
taggie

I like B the best, since I like a quiet marble and don't particularly care for the clumpy splotch on the left side of A. I could admire it in someone else's kitchen but I'd pick B to live with every day myself.

Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 7:13PM
More Discussions
Silestone suede cemento for kitchen counters ?
I am considering this dark grey "cemento"...
jeannette10
Karran quartz sink?
I really like the look and supposed durability of the...
oasisowner
How do I get a rich, warm, chocolate brown stain on oak cabinets?
We originally wanted white cabinets, but the painter...
aryno
Outlet Covers for Glass Tile?
Hubby and I finally found a backsplash tile that we...
ctincc
37" or 30" cooktop?
I was planning on a 30" induction cooktop which...
12crumbles
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™