Xpost - New flooring has gaps. Is this acceptable?

BlackChamoisSeptember 18, 2012

I think for me the answer is no, but am I off base?

I just had some engineered flooring put down. They are half way through with the installation and will return tomorrow (Tues). I checked on them occasionally while they were working and everything looked pretty good. However after they left I inspected more closely and found more than several gaps between the boards ... either end-to-end or side-to-side ... to the point that I can stand a credit card up in the gap. They are not as tight as I feel they should be.

I am very detail oriented and now wish I would have said something before they even started like "make sure the boards are tight" but they are the professionals and I should not have to tell them how to do a quality job, right?

The floors are glued down onto 1/4" cork for sound dampening (I am in an upstairs unit) so I know it will not be easy to pull out and redo but I want it done right.

Am I being too picky?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chiefneil

Glued-down engineered hardwood should be tight with no gaps. Especially end to end, there's no excuse for a gap there. That's just sloppy.

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 1:36AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
BlackChamois

Thanks chief! Two of the gaps will be under the sofa. I can live with that but the majority are in more visible locations.

I'm sure my guests are never going to get down in their hands and knees but it certainly will bother me. Not to mention all the dirt and dust that will get caught there! :(

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 1:47AM
More Discussions
Where do you keep your Aprons?
While DD is cleaning out all our kitchen cabinets,...
debrak_2008
Here's as close to a reveal as I may ever get... :)
I'm not going to call this a reveal because I am not...
crcollins1_gw
WWYD with this area?
This area was designated as "dog cubbie"...
debrak_2008
Closet pantry or not?
I am doing a reno of our kitchen and wanted to get...
abbabug
The perfect pad for a kitchen runner!!
I use a 12' long runner in my kitchen. It is an old...
bellsmom
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™