How big is your prep sink?

brittuSeptember 18, 2010

I need to pick our island prep sink so I can finalize the size of the cabinet under it. Many of the prep sinks we'll be looking at are 15" x 15". That seemed pretty darn big when we went to look at it in person. Our main sink will be a Kohler Stages 33 so that's really the one we'll be using for most prep tasks. The island sink is more for handwashing, island clean up, etc.

Could I live with a 12" x 10" by 5.5"? Anyone have a sink that small?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buehl

I don't think a sink with any dimension less than 12" will be very useful for much more than a bar sink...i.e., getting a drink of water or using it as an ice bucket (filling with ice and putting drinks in it).

Our sink is 15-3/4" x 15-3/4" and I sometimes wish it were more like 18" x 18"...but I've never wished it were smaller!

If you plan to use the island for any prepping, I think you'll find you will use that sink a lot more than you realize. So, rather than go with a small sink, get one that you know you can also prep at. Oh, and do yourself a favor, if you plan to have a garbage disposal, put one on both sinks! Something I let my DH talk me out of for the Prep Sink! "His" sink, the Cleanup Sink has one; but "my" sink, the Prep Sink doesn't...and I really wish it did!

Do yourself a favor, get the 15" x 15"!

Here's mine:

Note that once it's installed, it doesn't really look that big...here it is in the "big picture"

(It's in the lower right corner where the seating peninsula is.)

Bookmark   September 18, 2010 at 2:19AM
doonie

buehl is spot on about the prep sink size. I think it would be constantly annoying to have one that's not quite big enough. Make sure your colander can fit in it!

We got a large single bowl for our prep sink that measures 20 3/4" by 18" and 7 1/2" deep. I listened to GW and got a garbage disposal too, and I have not regretted it! I also got a sink grid for it since it helps to lay my fruits and veggies on for rinsing.

Bookmark   September 18, 2010 at 4:39AM
bostonpam

I got a 13" x 14" sink thinking that was big enough. I taped it out on my old counters and "used" it. Now I wish I got an even bigger sink! (I'm taking notes for my next kitchen (20 years from now))

Bookmark   September 18, 2010 at 9:58AM
lascatx

I looked at smaller ones but got a 15x15 (think it specs at 15-3/4). I was afraid it would be too big -- mainly that I would give up too much counter space. I am very glad it is not any smaller. Doing it again, I would start at 15x15 nad decide if I had space to do something a little larger like doonie's.

Bookmark   September 18, 2010 at 6:48PM
lyvia

My prep sink will be by the stove, so I want it big enough to drain hot pasta. Better there than over the dirty dishes!

Bookmark   September 18, 2010 at 8:15PM
plllog

I have a friend who has a sink that size, which is also mostly for hand washing, filling vases, etc. It's at the edge of the work area so that people can use it without getting in the cooks' ways.

My own sink is a 16" bowl with an equal sized trough. I love it. The trough is toward the work area, and is only about 6" wide, and a couple inches deep there. It's very useful!

Bookmark   September 18, 2010 at 10:46PM
adh673

I too wanted a smaller sink so as not to take over my island but I ended up with a 18 inch round shaw sink. I really wanted the round so I could access it from either end without being on the "wrong" side. But anyway they only made the 18 inch. And i saw it at my KD showroom and it looked small to be honest.

Bookmark   September 18, 2010 at 11:34PM
elz_kitchen

My KD pointed out that it depends on who's using the sink. My hands are on the small side, but my DH has far bigger hands and a small sink that works for me feels cramped to him.

Bookmark   September 19, 2010 at 11:35AM
Jennyrothkopf_yahoo_com

Ironically, while I obsess about the size of (prep and clean-up) sinks, most of your prep sinks are bigger than my (current) one and only "everything" sink (13"w x 16," which I DETEST!) It definitely gives me much needed perspective on a new sink size!

Bookmark   February 6, 2011 at 9:50AM
More Discussions
The Kitchen Designer Landscape
There seems to be a few scenarios out there. Some I...
denizenx
Polished chrome and polished nickel fixtures in same kitchen?
This is what I get for not figuring everything out...
windycitylindy
Two toned kitchen love em or hate em?
I am loosing my mind. I originally wanted a dark shaker...
abick2
Conestoga: Madison door with beaded inset?
Has anyone done or seen the Madison door on beaded...
akaypick
Can you please take a look at my layout?
I'm currently getting quotes for cabinets and want...
Carolyn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™