How tall are your 9 foot ceilings?

honu3421September 28, 2012

Okay, this is not a trick question! : ) The recent discussion on light rails and cab height above countertop got me to thinking in micro-inches. Oh yeah, not to mention 3mm vs 2mm counter tops. So I decided to change my status from lurker to poster (one post about a year ago) and ask my friends at GW my burning question. (arch is conveniently out of country) So here goes.

This is a new build. Our ceiling height will be 9 feet. The drawings that went to the structural last week clearly indicate 8 feet 11.25 inches. So that's 107.25, right? And I had been figuring 108 inches when planning for kitchen cabinets. Is this normal - will a 9' ceiling measure out 3/4" shorter?

And what about the drywall? Will they need to cut it down to fit - not on my dime - or is 9' drywall short by 3/4"??

Am I over thinking this or do I need tell my architect to go back to 108"? We are still under the max height limit by about 6" so the extra 3/4" in height will not be a permitting problem.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

A worried Honu.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
desertsteph

they're allowing for floor and ceiling space?

Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 1:03AM
Angie_DIY

And what about the drywall? Will they need to cut it down to fit - not on my dime - or is 9' drywall short by 3/4"??

I don't believe there is any such thing as "9' drywall." It is 4x8 or 4x12. You generally lay it horizontally anyway (unless there is a good reason to do it otherwise). So, naively you would have 4'+4'+11.25" sections; in reality, you will probably have something like 2.5'+4'+2.5' sections.

In short, YES, you are overthinking this. Insist on 108" ceilings if the extra height is important to you, but 107.25" is a perfectly valid ceiling height.

Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 11:11AM
honu3421

Wow! Thank you for answering this dumb question. It was so good to get up this morning and see your responses.

@Desert Steph: Yes, you are right. I was looking at finished floor to finished ceiling. So the 3/4" must be the allowance for ceiling drywall.

@Angie: Thanks for the clarification on the drywall sizes. The extra 3/4" isn't a deal breaker for me, but my current home has 10' ceilings so I am real sensitive about going lower. Though I know I will get used to it.

Thank you both! Honu

Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 12:47PM
More Discussions
Support for vintage double drainboard sink?
I'm planning my kitchen remodel now and have a question...
mccb1
My Kitchen Renovation Using Scherr's RTA Cabinets Begins
We start demolition on Monday. We have been actively...
homechef59
Undermount sink keeps separating from granite
We recently had granite installed in our kitchen and...
stnjan
Soapstone in the Midwest/St. Louis area?
Hi everyone. I've been lurking here for the past year,...
designsaavy
Zinc Range hoods
I am considering a custom zinc range-hood. What guage...
tyskamas
Sponsored Products
Unbranded Fan Remote Control Set X-RC7098
$64.80 | Home Depot
Hunter Lighting Kits 12 in. Amber Bowl Ceiling Fan Light Kit Weathered Bronze
$44.97 | Home Depot
ELK Lighting Cumberland Chandelier 14052/6 - 26W in. - 14052/6
$752.00 | Hayneedle
Axis Winter Gold Three Light Pendant with Crystals
$229.90 | Bellacor
Mansfield Pendant
Lightology