How tall are your 9 foot ceilings?

honu3421September 28, 2012

Okay, this is not a trick question! : ) The recent discussion on light rails and cab height above countertop got me to thinking in micro-inches. Oh yeah, not to mention 3mm vs 2mm counter tops. So I decided to change my status from lurker to poster (one post about a year ago) and ask my friends at GW my burning question. (arch is conveniently out of country) So here goes.

This is a new build. Our ceiling height will be 9 feet. The drawings that went to the structural last week clearly indicate 8 feet 11.25 inches. So that's 107.25, right? And I had been figuring 108 inches when planning for kitchen cabinets. Is this normal - will a 9' ceiling measure out 3/4" shorter?

And what about the drywall? Will they need to cut it down to fit - not on my dime - or is 9' drywall short by 3/4"??

Am I over thinking this or do I need tell my architect to go back to 108"? We are still under the max height limit by about 6" so the extra 3/4" in height will not be a permitting problem.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

A worried Honu.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
desertsteph

they're allowing for floor and ceiling space?

Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 1:03AM
Angie_DIY

And what about the drywall? Will they need to cut it down to fit - not on my dime - or is 9' drywall short by 3/4"??

I don't believe there is any such thing as "9' drywall." It is 4x8 or 4x12. You generally lay it horizontally anyway (unless there is a good reason to do it otherwise). So, naively you would have 4'+4'+11.25" sections; in reality, you will probably have something like 2.5'+4'+2.5' sections.

In short, YES, you are overthinking this. Insist on 108" ceilings if the extra height is important to you, but 107.25" is a perfectly valid ceiling height.

Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 11:11AM
honu3421

Wow! Thank you for answering this dumb question. It was so good to get up this morning and see your responses.

@Desert Steph: Yes, you are right. I was looking at finished floor to finished ceiling. So the 3/4" must be the allowance for ceiling drywall.

@Angie: Thanks for the clarification on the drywall sizes. The extra 3/4" isn't a deal breaker for me, but my current home has 10' ceilings so I am real sensitive about going lower. Though I know I will get used to it.

Thank you both! Honu

Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 12:47PM
More Discussions
Nobody does drop-in sink on stone countertop? Really?
I know... undermount is more popular these days --...
mudworm
New Vicostone/Pental Quartz Calacatta Borghini?
Has anyone seen the new Vicostone/Pental quartz Calacatta...
nadianyc
Stacked uppers?
Is it worth doing stacked uppers? I love the look but...
tigger9759
reasonable time before receipt of general contractor's estimate ?
What is a reasonable time to wait before a contractor's...
jeannette10
How high above countertop is the bottom of cabinets?
in a sink area? I have 18 inches above regular countertop...
Annette Holbrook
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™