How high from top of vanity to bottom of mirror

gaw1December 16, 2007

I have a vanity in my powder room: wood with marble top and no back splash. I am getting a mirror made at a frame shop and trying to finalize measurements. I have figured out where the top of the mirror should be.

But how high above the vanity top should the BOTTOM of the mirror be, 4", 6", 7", 9" etc.? Any good rules? Do I need to take into account the height of the faucets?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
igloochic

Yes you should take into account the height of the faucets. Normally a mirror would begin above them. (Think of what you want to reflect....lots of plumbing or the viewer?) You want to be low enough that a person who is 5' tall can easily see their entire face and chest. Typically that's going to be right above the faucet.

My powder room mirror is pushing the height limits at 45" above the floor. You don't want people to have to stand on their toes to see their face and chest. Mine is 4" above the faucet (so it's not crowded since mine opens). I'm sitting in a hotel right now and the mirror is right at faucet height (you don't see the faucet reflected in the mirror). I'd say it's about 38" off the floor. It's quite comfortable to use.

My higher mirror is a powder room mirror as well. I did a lot of research on the subject (suprising how much you can find on the internet) and the general concensus was that you should look to the short folks in society and cater to them for the bottom height, and the tall folks for the top height, so that someone 5' tall and someone else 6'4" will both feel comfortable in the room.

Bookmark   December 16, 2007 at 11:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gaw1

igloochic - Surprisingly, I hadn't considered the functionality of the mirror and its lower height! I was just worried about the space between the vanity top and bottom of mirror. With your ideas, I was able to validate with a 5'1" friend that she could still see in the mirror at the highest height. So thank you for bringing up those points.

In all your research did the recommend a distance between the vanity top/faucet top and bottom of mirror? If you miror did not open, would you have placed it lower?

Thanks

Bookmark   December 17, 2007 at 7:05PM
More Discussions
Ellen's Design Challenge final - spoiler alert
Spoilers below -- but, I really want to know the answer. I...
edie_thiel
Is it possible to hang ikea curtains on a transverse rod?
I have curtains tht I would like to hang in my family...
kiki_thinking
House of Cards - Table Lamps
Not wanting to hijack Ann's thread (Perception), I'm...
maddielee
New Rocking Chair placement
I just bought this new Risom rocker as a floor sample....
rockybird
Art height...opinions
i'm hanging six botanicals above table. Do you think...
Kitch4me
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™