Does anyone have a corner sink?

lavender_lassAugust 5, 2010

I saw a kitchen with a corner sink in Kitchen and Bath magazine this month. It looks great with the corner windows, but does anyone have a corner sink? How do you like it? I like the extra light and views :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ak0402

I love my corner sink, though it's not at a window. The advantages of a corner sink are:
- leaves uninterrupted expanse of countertop;
- allows tons of room under the sink for disposal, plumbing, storage, etc.
- allows room behind the sink for single handle faucet;
- uses what otherwise would be a dead space in a corner.

You must be careful not to install a dishwasher directly next to a corner sink. Put a cabinet between the corner sink and the DW--a trash pull-out is ideal in that location. If you put the DW directly next to a corner sink, you will be trapped by the DW door when it is opened.

Some people feel a disadvantage to a corner sink is that two people can't stand together at the sink. I have not found that to be a problem. First, because it hardly ever happens for me that two people need actually to stand there for any length time. Second, if someone needs to use the faucet while I am at the sink, so what, I stand aside for a few seconds.

You have to be careful about choosing the size of your sink for a corner. You will likely need to notch or scoop the sides of the base cabinet to fit the sink in at the corner. I would recommend therefore that you do not install a heavy sink like a fireclay apron front in a corner (though several on this forum have done so successfully). Instead, a sink made of stainless steel or silgranit would be fine.

I love my corner sink, and the advantages I've listed above. Any future kitchen I will ever have will also have a corner sink.

Bookmark   August 5, 2010 at 10:47PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buehl

Ahh, the corner sink question! This comes up fairly frequently. I've linked a dozen or so threads concerning corner sinks:

Corner Sink questions
Corner Sink and Pull-Out Trash
Sink in a corner?
Corner-sink cabinet 36''or 42''for 33'' undermount
Can we talk Corner Sinks??
Show me your corner sinks, please!
Applicances on the diagonal, across a corner?
pros and cons of sink in corner
Any corner sinks?
Corner sink question
Corner sink or not

Marandall's album showing how her corner farm/apron sink was installed, including measurements.
Corner farmhouse sink

Bookmark   August 6, 2010 at 4:45AM
More Discussions
Help w/ Bosch convection microwave auto chef settings
I needed a new microwave. Didn't need this fancy thing,...
rebunky
Help withwith quartzite countertops.
Hi all, I'm hoping I can find some information about...
MominMiami
Unusual granite
I have searched for other pictures of this granite....
ourgeorgiahouse
Ceramic Beadboard Backpslash - Done
This past week we had our ceramic beadboard backsplash...
SusieQusie60
Vintage Kitchen Reveal! 1950ish Galley with French Accents
Thanks to all who provided input over the last year....
huruta
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™