Family room decor questions

phiwwyDecember 19, 2013

It's been a while since I've been on GW, been enjoying the kitchen and other renovated areas. Just bought the pictured leather couch, upholstered recliner and a rug which has not come in yet. I would like to have the armchair repaired and think it would be nice in this room. Lastly, I hope to find a small coffee table with cubes for playing games, additional seating. This room is open to the kitchen, no TV, just a piano. What would you cover the arm chair in? Walls are BM Revere Pewter, the natural woven shades are a dark gray and the leather is a greenish brown. The kitchen accent is lime green.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
palimpsest

I would do something fun and bright, probably in a solid color velvet or leather.

Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 10:42PM
lizzie_grow

What tones/colors are in the rug you're getting?

Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 10:43PM
phiwwy

This is the rug I've ordered. It's really beautiful in person. a tiny bit more subtle than the photo shows.

Here is a link that might be useful: jacquard rug - ethan allen

Bookmark   December 20, 2013 at 7:19AM
Annie Deighnaugh

I'd add a little color...maybe do a green like the smaller circle in the throw pillow on the sofa

Bookmark   December 20, 2013 at 7:29AM
violetwest

I think a bright green would be fun, add color, and match the kitchen accents

Bookmark   December 20, 2013 at 12:23PM
nosoccermom

Bright green or one of the greyish blues from the other chair.

Bookmark   December 20, 2013 at 3:12PM
Olychick

I'm actually kind of liking the orange tone in the chair now. It's a little unexpected and not so matchy matchy as green would be. Maybe not that exact color, but something from the coral family to complement the green.

Bookmark   December 20, 2013 at 4:24PM
sjhockeyfan325

I like the current color too.

Bookmark   December 20, 2013 at 4:53PM
k9arlene

Because everything in your room now is either brown, beige or green, any other color you use on the chair is not going to be,cohesive looking unless you carry that color over to wall art, decorative pillows or throws. If you're looking for a more monochromatic look, I'd go with a beige.

Bookmark   December 20, 2013 at 11:04PM
phiwwy

You all are so helpful, thank you. Finally I can post a photo of the adjoining kitchen. The accents in the kitchen are lime green - and as you've seen, a less bright green in the family room in question.

Bookmark   December 21, 2013 at 12:10AM
aktillery9

phylh,

I think picking a blue or green from the chair would look very nice

Also, what color are your living room walls? I love it! Your home is beautiful and your kitchen is gorgeous!

Thanks!

Bookmark   December 21, 2013 at 6:24AM
k9arlene

Beautiful kitchen. The accent color in my kitchen and connecting family room is lime green as well. I love it! I would definitely stick to the green family for the chair. Any one of the colors in the accent pillows or the recliner. I don't think i'd introduce a new color .

Bookmark   December 21, 2013 at 6:55AM
phiwwy

k9arlene - would you post a few pix or a link to your home? i'd love to see it!

Bookmark   December 21, 2013 at 9:13AM
phiwwy

aktillery - forgot to answer - the walls in the kitchen and connected family room are BM Revere Pewter. Mostly looks gray, sometimes takes on a green hue. love it. and thank you! here's another shot of the kitchen from the family room.

Bookmark   December 21, 2013 at 9:20AM
phiwwy

I found a few fabric possibilities. Love to hear what you all think. This one is a green Greek key pattern. I also found a good, i think, fabric for the ottoman that i think i will use. it's red underneath so either a slipcover or re upholster.

Bookmark   December 27, 2013 at 9:30AM
phiwwy

here's another one. more neutral. I'll post closeups of the patterns.
Thanks all!

Bookmark   December 27, 2013 at 9:32AM
phiwwy

Here are the 2 fabrics together, with the lighter green backdrop on the ottoman.

Bookmark   December 27, 2013 at 9:37AM
sjhockeyfan325

What is the fabric on the right side of the picture just above this post? It looks blue or grey? Assuming that's the "more neutral", I vote against it - I just think the greens add something to the room in a coordinated fashion, and the neutral is just "blah".

Bookmark   December 27, 2013 at 11:59AM
k9arlene

Nix on the grayish fabric. I'd almost be inclined to use the greek key on both the chair and the ottoman. Wish I knew how to post my family room pics. I've got 2 brown leather sofas, a cream leather chair and 2 lime green velvet swivel barrel chairs with lots of lime green pillows and lime green glass bowls and vases. Love it!

Bookmark   December 27, 2013 at 1:27PM
nosoccermom

I like the green, or even more purple! And some creamy white furry pillows, maybe even a Flokati rug.

Bookmark   December 27, 2013 at 2:26PM
busybee3

i think i would go with green, but the 1st photo you showed with the fabric swatches you called the greek key look too yellow on my screen--- i would want a more vibrant green (tho the swatch photo shown up close of the key fabric doesn't seem to have the yellowish cast as much...?)
or, i agree- if you could find a purple similar to the pillow color, that might look nice too!

Bookmark   December 27, 2013 at 5:15PM
phiwwy

The rug is in, and I'm really liking the green greek key pattern shown on the armchair. What do you think for the ottoman? Green greek key again, or the light green solid as shown in the pix? Or one of the others I posted in earlier photos?
Thanks all!

Bookmark   January 4, 2014 at 11:44AM
marti8a

Just wanted to say how much I love your kitchen!

About your room here, I like the green greek key too and would do it on both chair and ottoman. With anything else and it looks like pattern overload to me. But I'm not one for a lot of pattern either.

Bookmark   January 4, 2014 at 12:08PM
erinsean

The figured chair in the foreground....is there any way to make pillows for your sofa of the same material? I would take one of the colors in the figured chair and use it for the ottoman and chair....right now I like the goldish (at least on my monitor) you have on the ottoman and I would do the same fabric for the chair.

Bookmark   January 4, 2014 at 2:52PM
msrose

I like the idea of pattern on the chair and solid on the ottoman. It's going to be beautiful which ever way you go. I love the green accents throughout the house.

Bookmark   January 5, 2014 at 9:41AM
k9arlene

I'm looking at my family room now with the brown leather sofas and apple green velvet chairs and apple green accessories and I really do love it. I also have apple green accessories and touches in my connecting kitchen as well. I think you should think about doing the chair and ottoman in an apple green velvet to liven up the family room. The greek key fabric will look good, but I think the room really needs a fun pop of color to coordinate with your kitchen.

Bookmark   January 5, 2014 at 10:39AM
More Discussions
who has grey kitchen cabinets?
would appreciate info from people who have grey cabinets...
mainewire
I need help deciding what color to paint my sofa frame
I am re-upholstering a vintage french couch, with the...
lizzierobin
Broyhill lamps -- help!
A couple weeks ago I saw some lamps made by Broyhill...
tammy518
Office ready for window treatments - WWYD?
I finally hung the diplomas and DH's favorite print...
2pups4me
seagrass rug color
Hello all, I haven't been back here for a while and...
sserra85
Sponsored Products
Sunset Trading Jackson Reclining Loveseat with Console
Beyond Stores
Fresca Torino 42 White Bathroom Vanity w/ Side Cabinet & Vessel Sink
Hudson Reed
Novara Italian Percale Pillow Sham
$119.50 | FRONTGATE
Elk Lighting Crackle Ceramic Table Lamp - D131
$190.00 | Hayneedle
Screen Gems Eglomise Screen
Beyond Stores