bar sink - does it need a drain that closes?

joellen01August 4, 2013

For our wet bar I am putting in an egg-shaped vessel sink (Jocelyn from Signature Hardware ) that has a polished bronze interior and a dark bronze exterior. Probably going to use Delta 754LF Victorian open-channel faucet in Venetian Bronze. For a bar sink, do I actually need to be able to close the drain? The faucet does not come with a drain assembly and I can't see when I would actually use it in a bar sink. But I need something to finish off the drain opening. Delta does not seem to have a pop-up drain assembly for lavatory-sized sink drains in the Venetian Bronze finish. Since I have agonized over the faucet, I would like not to have to change my mind yet again.....
Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bpathome

My dad's bar sink has a wee strainer so things like cherries and lemon seeds don't go down the drain. It is not attached, it's kind of basket shaped with a little loop on it so you can pull it out.

Your bar sink sounds like it will be beautiful! When's Happy Hour LOL!

Bookmark   August 4, 2013 at 10:11PM
neitsdelf

Search "drain covers" and when you come across the Linkasink line of cutesy ones, I just hope you can afford it when you fall in love. (I love the turtle one that I saw at a plumbing store over the weekend.)

Edit: Found a link to my turtle.

This post was edited by neitsdelf on Mon, Aug 5, 13 at 14:35

Bookmark   August 5, 2013 at 2:30PM
joellen01

Thanks to both who responded. Neitsdelf, I LOVE the Linkasink drains!! this is a horse-themed bar so the horse head drain is perfect. Apparently the drain is a universal fit, while the cover just snaps on and off for cleaning - I was a bit anxious that it would not lie flat on the slightly curved bottom of the sink with the drain closed but if it not part of the sealing mechanism that this will not be an issue. And BTW, it is only twice as much as the Delta drain (i.e., about $60 more). Not much to pay for a big boost of style. Thanks, the gardenweb process has worked again, less than 24 hours later I have a solution!

Bookmark   August 5, 2013 at 5:05PM
beverlyfla

Just a question about your installation. May I ask if you are lowering the height of the counter to accommodate the increased height of the vessel sink?

Kitchen and Bar Prep counters are usually 36" high, but to accommodate the vessel sink the counter would have to be lower to be comfortable using it..

Bookmark   August 5, 2013 at 5:17PM
More Discussions
Two toned kitchen love em or hate em?
I am loosing my mind. I originally wanted a dark shaker...
abick2
School me on galley kitchen layout!
So I've tried to start learning from the experts here...
red_argyle
Unusual granite
I have searched for other pictures of this granite....
ourgeorgiahouse
Advice on first draft of kitchen layout
One change already is I may go with a cooktop, micro/convection...
happyallison
Sink Window - counter depth or slightly raised?
(I'm trying to limit my queries to 1/day - you have...
Carrie B
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™