Are your pulls mounted on your slab or thru the drawer box?

akl_vdbAugust 18, 2014

For your lower drawers, are your pulls mounted through your drawer box and through the drawer front, or just on the drawer front? (necessitating taking the drawer front off to change the handles)
Our guys did ours today, and I'm not sure it's right, but I'm a nurse, not a carpenter, so what do I know. Hence, why I'm looking for advice!

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenhaven

I put my screws through the front and box. Had to buy longer screws but it is the right way. Right for me anyway, lol!

Bookmark   August 18, 2014 at 8:57PM
Mgoblue85

Like GH mine go through both with longer screws. The drawer front did not have to come off in order to drill the holes or mount the handles.

Bookmark   August 18, 2014 at 9:13PM
westsider40

Ditto what gh said and my cab maker installed the pulls. I ordered my pulls online and had them sent to the cabmaker, Ayr.

Bookmark   August 18, 2014 at 9:57PM
akl_vdb

So our guys just drilled them through the slab drawer, which they would have had to take off to do. It's such a thin piece of 'wood'. I have 30, 34 and 36 inch drawers, and I'm not sure it will be sturdy enough.

I also noticed a part was a bit crooked (3 piece with echelon (eustation? I don't know the right word!)), so I was going to straighten it out, but I would have had to take the drawer front off!

I don't know what's going on around here!

Thanks for the real life experiences. I also would have put it all the way through, and the carpenter took the screws so he'd know to get longer.

I don't know what happened - well, I do. (it was raining today, they couldn't do outside work elsewhere so they called at 7:30 this am telling us they were coming as we were going to work!)

Bookmark   August 18, 2014 at 10:05PM
greenhaven

If your fronts are thin anyway make them redo it. I think you are at risk of damaging your fronts or even compromising their attachment to the boxes.

Bookmark   August 18, 2014 at 11:49PM
Texas_Gem

Greenhaven makes a good point.

My cabs are shaker style and have a veneer center.

I installed all of my handles on the solid frame and when my cab maker came back to install my wet bar he told me he was "proud of me"
When I asked why he said he has seen several customers put the pulls in the center panel but that's really not a good idea. The center is so thin and you are constantly putting stress on it, it almost assuredly will fail and cause damage.

Pulls should only be mounted through solid wood.

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 12:43AM
akl_vdb

Thanks Texas_Gem and Greenhaven, that's what I was thinking, it's so thin! And we'll be having plates and stuff in them. Ugh, always something!

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 7:35AM
linste

Sorry to interrupt, but are drawer pulls not to be installed on the recessed part? Here is my cab sample:

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 7:46AM
Texas_Gem

If the recessed part is full thickness, I.e. a raised panel that was installed with the raised part facing inside the cab, then its no problem to put a handle there.

If you don't specify that you want the cabs that way and the recessed part is much thinner then no, you shouldn't be installing a pull there and should put the pull on the frame.

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 9:23AM
linste

Thank you very much.

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 9:24AM
Oaktown

Linste, you should not have a problem installing a pull in the recessed area if you are also going through the drawer box behind the front. Open the drawer and see how high up the drawer box goes. If you install through the box as well that can be sturdier than through just the frame of the drawer front. Good luck.

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 9:59AM
linste

Thanks. I'll check it out when they're delivered Friday!

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 10:29AM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

Totally bizzaro. Non standard. Pulls should be drilled through the drawer box assembly as well as the drawer front applied on top of the drawer box.

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 10:29AM
cloud_swift

Ours are installed just through the drawer front. These are on slab drawers and, for the deep drawers, on the rail of 5-piece drawers.

Contrary to other opinions here, I think that's the right way. The slab drawer fronts and rails are 3/4 inch which is plenty thick enough for sturdiness and the drawer inside is tidier without the pull screw heads showing.

Of course if one is mounting hardware on a thin panel of a 5-piece, it needs to go through the drawer box because there may be too much force for the panel to hold.

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 12:12PM
anenemity

Escutcheon was the word you were looking for. I've never had 5-piece drawers before so I defer to others about where the handles should be mounted.

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 12:29PM
akl_vdb

Ours are not on the rails except for one, which is fine as that is thick.

The others are mounted on the centre thin veneer. I called the owner and asked for an explanation.

They will have to come and redo it to put it through the drawer box. And this took them 5 hours to do like 8 of them. Sigh.

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 12:32PM
More Discussions
Please help me with my layout options. Again.
Hello! Several months ago I posted to get layout advice...
ainelane
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
The perfect pad for a kitchen runner!!
I use a 12' long runner in my kitchen. It is an old...
bellsmom
Old World vs. Classic Kitchen--trying to figure out what I want
For the last several months I have been using the below...
2LittleFishies
Kitchen dimensions/layout advice please
We're finally renovating but this isnt a major overhaul,...
jomonster8u
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™