Anyone remember discussion re. *right* type of plumber's putty?

theresseAugust 7, 2013

Hi there (and long time no talk for some of you)!

I'm the one, if this rings a bell (unless there are more of us), with the infamous pics of the Shaws farmer sink that had cracks coming out from the drain. I eventually got it replaced by them which was good - at no cost to me. My then-contractor may have damaged it when overtightening the flange (?).

Anyway, today's problem is that ever since the new sink has gone in, we're a little paranoid about overtightening and it's possible that's why the disposal keeps coming loose and starts leaking water into the bottom of our cabinet below the sink. : - / My husband believes it's cause we have too much crap under there (cleaning agents and such). He thinks we push things around under there and it's dislodged something.

He doesn't know anything about any of this stuff but he's going to attempt - via googling - to fix this himself. I told him I thought I had a memory of reading something on here about some sort of putty being the kind that should be avoided. Not sure of details...perhaps because a flexible kind's required? Or maybe it's the opposite? Maybe it had something to do with a putty that will help prevent/avoid fireclay sinks cracking somehow? I have some funny memory of that, I think.

Hope this makes at least some sense!

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
theresse

Hi again -

I found an old thread I started when my sink cracked (pressure cracks, I'd written). The disposal I have is a 1 hp Insinkerator which Rohl said isn't a problem.

I'm wondering if this comment someone wrote about a putty might be what I'd read in the past. If you're knowledgable about such things, please let me know if this makes sense to you reading this!:

"I can get things tight enough that most of the guys I work with cannot loosen them without tools, and my regular plumber can get them tighter than I can.

Making sure the joint has some decent durometer rubber to conform to the surfaces is a much better way (and the rubber acts as a locking mechanism)."

Thanks!

Bookmark   August 7, 2013 at 9:17PM
SparklingWater

I've read that generic "plumber's putty" is slightly acidic, hence not utilized to secure flanges, faucets etc where clear silicone will do instead.

So, perhaps you're recalling something about plumbers putty itself?

You might place thread seal tape (PTFE)over the pipe to which your garbage disposal hose end is affixed. It's sometimes called plumbers tape or if by a manufacturer, Teflon tape. It acts as a lubricator, allowing the pipes' threads to be tightly screwed together thus creating a better seal.

Bookmark   August 7, 2013 at 9:50PM
texaspenny

This is the putty we used on our Silgranit sink/disposal. The plumber said silicone would not hold well and he agreed that regular plumber's putty should not be used. It's been 2 months and everything is great so far.

Bookmark   August 7, 2013 at 11:03PM
katy-lou

We used the same one shown in the picture above. The plumber was a bit taken aback when I told him he couldn't use his normal putty and I had special putty for the soapstone. But he used it

Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 12:09AM
theresse

Thanks SparklingWater! Do you think I could use the tape and silicone together? Totally ignorant here if you can't tell.

Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 12:25AM
theresse

Thanks TexasPenny and Katy-Lou! The container doesn't mention anything about sinks/drains though - just countertop material. This is really the right stuff?

Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 12:36AM
theresse

(and disposals which are metal, of course)

Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 12:38AM
theresse

(and disposals which are metal, of course)

Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 5:55AM
katy-lou

Yes it goes under the flange that fits in the sink cutout, flange has a lip on it below that the gd locks onto with included locking ring. Screws on gd compress entire set and hold snug together. Putty provides water tight seal under flange.

Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 7:55AM
More Discussions
Two toned kitchen love em or hate em?
I am loosing my mind. I originally wanted a dark shaker...
abick2
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
Soapstone with runnels: How are they holding up?
If you have runnels in your soapstone, could you tell...
leavemeout
Barker cabinets?
So who has Barker cabinets and would be willing to...
tigger9759
Faucet Choice: Blanco, Hansgrohe or KWC
Hi, We are remodeling our kitchen and will be putting...
jazzcook
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™