Retrofit Old open ceiling vent with range hood

pixjohnAugust 18, 2014

I have been trying to research retrofit installs but come up empty. Its an old 1933 open ceiling vent that I want to install a range hood ventilation system.

i am in a rental and the landlord says its up to me to install my own range hood. Its not an ideal install area, I have to put the range hood above a pot rack, its a small space but luckly I have an open ceiling vent I can tap into . I would like to do as little damage to the old plaster with out damaging anything else (see pictures)

I was thinking of mounting the hood and running duct to the opening and sealing it with some type of caulking to seal any gaps?

John

This post was edited by pixjohn on Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 20:38

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

Often these were ripped off at the roof and sealed over, then sealed off in the kitchen ... you never know until you get in the attic and look.

"I was thinking of mounting the hood and running duct to the opening and sealing it with some type of calking to seal any gaps? "

Really BAD idea ... you need an exhaust vent that goes all the way out to the exterior of the house, with all the joints sealed with metal tape.

Your plan would exhaust wet, greasy air into the attic.

I have seen them nicely retrofitted, but they installed the fan at the top of the hood area and a proper vent pipe.

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 5:39PM
pixjohn

I am on the first floor of a 2 story building. I asked the landlord if she would have the vent inspected with no response. The city inspector could care less when I asked them about the requirements. I need to do something since my kitchen and living room fill with smoke and the smoke alarms go off every week. The best I can do is test with a smoking gun close to the opening to see if it draws up smoke.

assuming the vent is open, what is the best way to tie into the existing vent.

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 8:47PM
lazy_gardens

First: Look at the roof over your kitchen area and see if there is a vent cap over that area.

If there is a cap, you have some possibility of having a clear exhaust route.

Buy, borrow, or rent an "inspection camera" and look up there to see what is there. they are the same fiberoptic camera style used in medicine, but for looking inside soffits and attics.

You should see a clear tube or square channel, with some light coming in at the top.

If you do not see a vent going all the way up and out, do NOT vent your kitchen inside the building.

Here is a link that might be useful: inspection camera

Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 1:33PM
More Discussions
Why is a backsplash so hard to choose?
Got the counters in place today...love my Taj Mahal...
ssg7741
Specific stacked upper cab questions
I'm looking for input as I get closer to finalizing...
melis918
New build Kitchen – layout for this space?
So, hi! Popping out of lurk mode because I’d really...
am_e
Question on size of wall cabinets flanking cooktop
I'm planning 45" wall cabinets for my uppers....
seb225
WAC vs. Seagull vs. Kichler or what else - "best" LED UCL
can someone please help/advise i feel like a fish out...
lmgch
Sponsored Products
Elk Lighting 10208/6WN Fission 6-Light Wine Pendant in Satin Nickel
Beyond Stores
ELK Lighting Menlow Park 60046-3 Pendant - 10W in. - Oiled Bronze - 60046-3
$330.00 | Hayneedle
Poolmaster LED Pool Light
$14.99 | zulily
Foscarini | New Buds 3 Suspension Lamp
$928.00 | YLighting
Gallery Venetian Style All Crystal 5-light Chandelier with Crystal Balls
Overstock.com