Island range hoods (stainless steel)

karynAugust 8, 2013

1. Recommendations anyone? There seem to be a ton of them in the $300-400 range. Lots of no-name ones on Ebay and Amazon very inexpensive.

We have a 10-11 foot ceiling so will have to get an extra duct extension. I haven't been able to find any that come ready for that height ceiling. Ebay and Amazon sellers don't seem to show if they have the extensions available so it gets hard to connect all the pieces buying from them.

Where can I shop and get the hood and extension all at one place without paying crazy amounts of money?

Lastly - any ones we should absolutely stay away from? Noisy - lights not strong enough, POS, breaks down etc? The Island hood market is FLOODED with no-name companies...

We are also concerned that the stainless duct coming down should look sleek and unobtrusive - not like Joe's sheet metal shop did it.

I'd prefer a name brand, but willing to consider anything - within a reasonable BUDGET. Yes, yes we DO NOT want to spend $800 - $5000 on a hood.

Thanks in advance for ideas.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

"Lastly - any ones we should absolutely stay away from? Noisy - lights not strong enough, POS, breaks down etc? "

See your quote below:

"There seem to be a ton of them in the $300-400 range. Lots of no-name ones on Ebay and Amazon very inexpensive."

You're asking for an oxymoron. Either give up performance and reliability. Or expand your budget. Good quality island hoods don't come cheap at all. Kobe and Faber are two of the least expensive decent quality hoods out there, but you're not going to see them for your budget unless they are scratch and dent. And without the duct cover extension.

Have you looked at moving the cooking zone to a wall. Good ventilation can easily be 1/3 the cost for a wall vs. an island.

Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 9:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karyn

Thanks. Unfortunately it's impossible to move the cooktop off of the island without massive expense - thousands. The kitchen was poorly designed and we are just making the best of it with what we have for the short term.

Forget finding a premium quality hood then. We need cheap with available extensions.

Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 10:16PM
More Discussions
Do upper super Susan shelves obstruct view?
The 42" tall upper corner cabinet was drilled...
tea4all
Photos of my almost done White and Walnut kitchen/mudroom remodel
It's been a long, hard road, but the end is finally...
tamarahl
Just got my kitchen remodel photographed by a prof. What a difference!
For some reason a couple of the pics double posted....
Tamara Hadji
Detailed where-things-go plan in 100 sqft - advice?
So, our kitchen is finished enough that we can prepare...
lathyrus
Honed Vermont Danby marble countertop owners... Love it or leave it???
I am hoping to understand people's experience who have...
Pippin
Sponsored Products
Dainolite 575T-SC 5 Table Lamp - 575T-SC
$210.00 | Hayneedle
Belleria Ceiling Fan by Fanimation Fans
$548.00 | Lumens
NuTone Bel Aire 13W x 36H in. Surface Mount Medicine Cabinet - 626
$247.23 | Hayneedle
Sure Fit Stretch Suede Recliner Slipcover - 37598
$94.99 | Hayneedle
Asheville Wall Sconce by Arroyo Craftsman
$192.00 | Lumens