Laminate? Kitchen cabinets how to repaint

rjingaAugust 8, 2008

I am pretty sure these are laminate. They are white and I'd really like to redo them. Is there anything special to do to the surface so that paint will adhere to it?

I do not want to even attempt to remove the laminate. It would be way too much work. The surface is not damaged in any way.

Would it be reasonable to sand them down and then prime and paint. And if yes, any special kind of paint that should be used?

I will post photos

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mcps

By laminate - do you mean Thermofoil? I just found out I have these kind of cabinets and my contractor told me they cannot be painted. But who knows - maybe he's wrong!

Bookmark   August 8, 2008 at 8:12PM
bayareafrancy

Ask on the paint forum! I know there are primers that stick to just about anything! One of them is called BIN by Zinsser. Great stuff! Highly toxic and dangerous though.

:-)

francy

Bookmark   August 8, 2008 at 8:19PM
remodelfla

I did it with an old vanity and countertop. I had found a thread on this or some forum that explicitly outlined how to do it. I'll search to see if I can find the specific information but I do remember cleaning first with TPC(?), and using BIN as a primer. Then I believe I just painted. For the Formica countertop. I did a base coat, blended in several colors, and just kept playing with color until I had a look that resembled granite. Didn't come out half bad actually for a first attempt.

Bookmark   August 8, 2008 at 8:24PM
remodelfla

TSP not TPC... anyway... I googled and found an article for you. Hope it's helpful

Here is a link that might be useful: painting laminate

Bookmark   August 8, 2008 at 8:28PM
rosalita

I am sorry that I can't recall the poster's name but i KNOW someone here will have it to show you a kitchen that had white thermafoil cabinets and she showed how hers just came off in easy strips. She gave great details on the products she used , etc.

Bookmark   August 8, 2008 at 8:29PM
hammybee

A long time ago, in my first house, I had hideous formica-like cabinets. I used BIN and then semi gloss over that. I also used picrure framing material as molding on the doors.

Bookmark   August 8, 2008 at 10:30PM
rmlanza

If you're still interested, it was bamaspice's awesome kitchen. I'll post the link to the FKB and she explains how she did it. FWIW, I'm attempting this with my old cabs that we removed, trying to make a portable craft station with a couple of old base cabs on casters. Mine weren't super smooth once I peeled the laminate off though. I'm wondering if they can be skim coated or something to smooth the texture. But because they are just going to be in my basement I didn't worry about it and just primed with Kilz and spray painted black. I've only done one door and one drawer so far, haven't figured out what to do about the sides and back of the cabs yet.

Good luck!
Robin

Here is a link that might be useful: bamaspice's amazing kitchen transformation!

Bookmark   September 4, 2008 at 10:19AM
More Discussions
How high above countertop is the bottom of cabinets?
in a sink area? I have 18 inches above regular countertop...
Annette Holbrook
A different way to deal with the blind corner issue
I think this would require a very specific place to...
raenjapan
Scullery...
What are your thoughts about a scullery? A place to...
lavender_lass
Please help me find an eco-friendly black-and-white floor!?
After more years than I care to admit, we are finally...
dawdlinmama
Floor for White Kitchen?
Our original plan was wood look tile with white cabinets....
annaw_123
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™