Built in my 55" TV above a corner fireplace....pics!

nicole__December 24, 2012

I had a 35" analog tube TV on a stand in my greatroom. It partially blocked 2 windows and had surround sound wiring going along the baseboards. To get the TV up off the floor and out of my way....so I could open ALL 8 of the windows and get the full solar heating value and see the view with no neighbors that we LOVE....we built the TV into a recessed area above the fireplace. It tilts, pulls out 20" and even can be turned sideways to view when in the adjoining kitchen....take a look. OH....and did I mention it used to be a rustic design, with a heavy wood mantle and is now a sleek modern design with a granite slab mantle. :0)

We did all the work ourselves. Cut off the raised hearth, gaining 20" of floor space, so we can now set the speakers on the new marble hearth. We love it!!!!!!!

Before:

The hearth matched the entryway tile. The grout was cracking because of the builders error, not installing hardibacker, insted..... installig ALL tile directly to the plywood base.

Finished:

Here is a link that might be useful: Sanus TV Full Swivel Wall Mount

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yayagal

It looks wonderful and I LOVE all those windows.

Bookmark   December 25, 2012 at 7:33AM
cyn427

Agreed! I am so impressed that you did it yourselves! Bravo. Now, sit back and enjoy!

Bookmark   December 25, 2012 at 7:53AM
springroz

Wow! Good work! Love the windows, too!!

Nancy

Bookmark   December 25, 2012 at 11:14AM
erinsean

I love what you did....but would you consider putting your speakers on each side of the fireplace...I believe it would finish out your TV/fireplace setting. If you use the fireplace, then you would have to move them farther away but I would like to see what they look like closer.

Bookmark   December 26, 2012 at 2:30PM
nicole__

grandmaof3.....it's a sleek, austere...not too cluttered look. AND a $4k surround sound system, it's heavy to move. It needs to be away from soot/dirt...heat.

I'm painting an old cane sided chair black, reupholstering it in a black and white bamboo fabric and hope THAT will finish out the look. :0)

Thanks for all the replies!!!

Bookmark   December 26, 2012 at 7:04PM
More Discussions
F&B to BM color closest matches
If F&B is not near you but BM is....
the_foxes_pad
Width of light over vanity?
I am doing a budget renovation of the hall/company...
Susan Taylor Brown
Annie D. & others -- Should I say goodbye to my crystal chandelier?
I'm redecorating my dining room and am doing British...
valpogal47
staircase light fixture
Would this lantern style fixture look right above the...
RoseAbbey
Could we talk about living with white walls?
I'll admit it. I'm really drawn to pictures of rooms...
laughablemoments
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™