Book or resource on furniture arrangement 101
Is there a book or a web resource that can help me get educated on furniture arrangements? More on the actual functional layout than the aesthetics. I am looking for general guidelines like:
- bedside side table should be immediately next to the bed and X height in relation to the bed
- Coffee table/ ottoman should be X inches from the couch
- How to size the rug for different areas. Should the rug be under the legs of the couch in the living room arrangement or not.
- How to understand traffic flow and sample furniture groupings for living room, other conversation groupings, dining and bedroom.
- What are the must have furniture pieces.. (if asked a similar appliance question kitchens, you would say cookting surface, oven, microwave, dishwasher, refrigerator)
- Ergonomics of how people move, sit and socialize and how furniture setup can facilitate that.
We will be moving into our rebuilt home in 2013 and I want to think about this upfront so that we don't end up making bad furniture buys or setting up the furniture wrong.