Cabinets and Countertops

flevyAugust 26, 2012

My kitchen is going to have 2 different cabinet colors. The perimeter will have off white with a black granite counter top. The island is grey with a mahogany top. My question is...is this to many finishes going on? Should I either get all off white cabinets or all black counter tops? My issue with the island is that it's just slightly bigger than 10x6. I can't find a single slab that big and if I use granite I have to have a seam.

These are the colors of the doors

and this is what the white looks like with the black

I don't have a picture of the grey with the mahogany top

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
a2gemini

I am a bit OCD but loving this combo!
Very pretty!

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 7:22PM
ginny20

I think it sounds nice, too. That's a pretty gray.

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 8:16PM
gr8daygw

Looks beautiful and I have seen many kitchens with this many combos. My sister has two different granites plus a walnut top on her island and a separate bake station area in a different color and it looks great. Your colors are neutral so I think it can stand more variation in the colors. A layered look! Your kitchen is going to be beautiful!

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 10:20PM
EAM44

How will the mahogany be finished? Are you staining it or using a conversion varnish?

Unstained Mahogany

Mahogany has a lot of pink in it, starts out light, and gets darker with age. Unstained, I think it's possibly the wrong color for your grey cabinets, and would choose all black over that option, even if it means a seam. WaLNUT might be a better look for you. This is Boos end grain walnut butcherblock.

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 11:02PM
flevy

I went to the kitchen showroom today and put it all together to the best of my ability.

The black in the picture is a piece of AB since I don't have a sample piece of my slab.

The floor on the bottom is american cherry and is the floor that will be in the whole house including the kitchen.

I tried a few samples. First up is American Cherry Wood top. This picture also has a piece of Q Arctic White.

This has a picture of a variety of different wood tops. One is Black Walnut and one is Black Sapele. I didn't like the dark piece on the left so I didn't pay attention to what it is.

Can I get some opinions? Cherry? Arctic White with a seam? One of the other woods?

Thanks so much for helping me pick!

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 1:44AM
More Discussions
48 inch WOLF DF Range, Steamer, Wall oven
Hello, I need some advice since these are a huge investment...
hkwan
Silestone Lagoon... Which one is the real deal????
I am experiencing the typical paralysis by analysis...
Anna Pensgen
Can we still email.....
like you could on the old GW, if you were set up to...
bicyclegirl1
School me on galley kitchen layout!
So I've tried to start learning from the experts here...
red_argyle
Dishwasher in white, black or panel??
My 17 year old dishwasher needs to be replaced. It...
shellking
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™