Light Rail Molding Supplier

bosdiyerAugust 12, 2013

Hi All.
I'm having a really hard time finding a source for unfinished UCL light rail moldings. I'm trying to find something between 1.75 and 2" high and I could really use some sourcing help.
My preference would be hard maple, but at this point I'm willing to listen to all suggestions.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

Your cabinet company would be the first place you should be shopping.

Bookmark   August 12, 2013 at 6:16PM
lucas_tx_gw

Barker cabinets sells them unfinished in all the types of wood they build cabinets in.

I think they are under millwork. If you want them unfinished though it seems like it would be pretty easy to buy the lumber and build them, they are pretty straightforward.

Bookmark   August 12, 2013 at 7:26PM
bosdiyer

Thanks for the suggestions, but the light rails from my cabinet maker and Barker's millwork are just too blaahh and either too narrow or too wide. I'm hoping to find a company that makes them with a little style. Too much work is going into the project to stick a squared off piece of trim under the cabinet and call it a light rail.

Bookmark   August 12, 2013 at 7:34PM
lucas_tx_gw

Nice.

Bookmark   August 12, 2013 at 10:41PM
annac54

We used a triple-bead molding we got from Raw Doors for a light rail. They have some other light rail moldings also and carry a variety of woods. We placed 2 orders with them and the material was delivered promptly and packaged well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Raw Doors

Bookmark   August 13, 2013 at 2:35AM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

You might want to ponder the "one clown" scenario first before looking for something so ornate. When you overload on details, the eye stops seeing them. Everything can't be a star. There is a very good reason that most people put on rather plain light rail. It's reason for existance is utilitarian: to hide the lights. Focus on making the crown more decorative instead. That's where you get a bang for your buck. Not light rail.

Bookmark   August 13, 2013 at 8:18AM
bosdiyer

I appreciate the suggestions. It looks like I'm going to have to customize a standard molding to my specs. I'm going to experiment on a sample, but here's what I'm planning (check the link below)
The cabinets are frameless, modified shaker, so I'm planning on rabbetting out a 1/2" x 1-1/4" section from the back of the molding and using it vertically.
Never a dull moment.

Here is a link that might be useful: moulding info

Bookmark   August 13, 2013 at 2:24PM
More Discussions
Caesarstone Dreamy Marfil~ new and beautiful
I tried and tried to get an accurate color on this...
deedles
color of sink in a modern kitchen ?
I will have white cabinets and dark grey counter tops. what...
jeannette10
Karran quartz sink?
I really like the look and supposed durability of the...
oasisowner
How many cabinet estimates do you get?
Uggh, I tried to search but am giving up. We are considering...
najames
Would soapstone work for me?
I currently have Cambria quartz and like it, but don't...
Butternut
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™