GE & Hotpoint DW recall

beekeeperswifeAugust 9, 2012

Just saw this on CNN. Not sure how helpful it is to post, but you never know.

More than 1 million GE and Hotpoint dishwashers are being recalled after a series of fires.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission announced the voluntary recall Thursday of machines sold from March 2006 to August 2009 for $350 to $850.

Here is a link that might be useful: cnn story

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
caminnc

I saw this too! Very scary! It would be VERY nice for someone to make an appliance that does NOT catch on fire. I say this after my Cuisinart coffee pot caught on fire a couple months ago. Thank G*d I was standing there.

People, please don't run your appliances when you are gone or sleeping.

There should be a law, oh wait, there is! What a joke!!!

Bookmark   August 9, 2012 at 6:53PM
breezygirl

There was a recent thread in Appliances about running appliances while you are out of the house. The KA DW fires were mentioned as a reason not to run while gone. Me? I *strive* to run the DW, washer, and dryer when I leave the house or got to bed. The noise from each of those three appliances drives me ba-na-nas. If I had to run them while home and awake, the kids wouldn't have clean clothes often and the kitchen sink would constantly be overflowing with dirty dishes. I'd probably make DH grill more often.

I know. I know. Safety first. Sometimes my sanity wins that battle for first place. :)

Bookmark   August 9, 2012 at 8:31PM
ginny20

Yeah, that was my question on Appliances. My sorority sister's house burned down a few years ago because she left the DW running when she and her DH went to work. I was afraid to leave anything running and go out. The guys on Appliances had me pretty convinced that the risk was real but very small, then this! Sheesh! Mine isn't recalled, but I think I will continue to run DW only when home.

Bookmark   August 9, 2012 at 11:05PM
phoggie

I was the proud owner of a GE dishwasher that was "recalled". I called in my serial number...and sure enough, it was among them. They sent a service man out who said mine was one of the worst he had seen...supposed to have fixed it....the house is sold now, so I assume he did....or at least, I hope so!

Bookmark   August 10, 2012 at 9:18AM
badgergal

A while ago, my friend received a recall notice for the heating element on her 3-4 year old Whirlipool dishwasher.
If you are the first owner of an appliance it is important to register the items so they can notify you if there is a recall.

Bookmark   August 10, 2012 at 9:51AM
More Discussions
Anyone have Cambria Seagrove? Or Summerhill?
I have been GW lots lately trying to decide on countertops....
Lily Spider
Please help with Kitchen floorplan
Hello everyone, My husband and I are building a new...
mary8153
KitchenCraft - will they last a lifetime?
Fell in love with a specific painted door when cruising...
lookintomyeyes83
Help with kitchen layout - main issue is where to put the ovens
I need to finalize my kitchen design so all feedback/suggestions...
keagle
Carrara all the way!
It's my first post here, and I have to thank you all...
somersetlass
Sponsored Products
GE 16 in. Slim Nickel-Finish Picture Light 15931
$27.97 | Home Depot
Vig Furniture - Genesis - Made in Italy Contemporary Bed with...
Great Furniture Deal
5" Juno Fluorescent IC Remodel Recessed Package
$88.96 | Lamps Plus
GE 18 in. White Direct Wire Fluorescent Undercabinet Light with Pull Chain 16685
$14.97 | Home Depot
Kidshine White 6-Inch LED Three Light Semi Flush Mount Fixture Fixture
$218.00 | Bellacor
GE Profile PEM31SFSS Stainless Steel Countertop Microwave Oven
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™