Just learned how to clean my GD.

debrak2008August 13, 2013

I have had a garbage disposal for over 25 years. On my 2nd one.

Today I was taking a cloth and wiping the little rubber flaps. I pushed the cloth in and pull it out to wipe the inside of the flaps. I admit that is something I rarely do. Well the whole thing came out. I had no idea it came out. I don't think DH does either. Actually I know he doesn't as I can remember him dropping a screw into the disposal and trying to see into it to retrieve it.

Well the good news is that it was very clean inside the chamber and the underneath of the flaps. Just wiped a little gunk and snapped it back in place.

I am sharing this for those who are concerned with cleaning their disposal. I assume that they all pop out like my did.

Next I will confess how I just learned how to clean the filter in my DW ; )

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
a2gemini

LOL - I figured that out with the remodel - I didn't know this before.
As far as the DW - I have 2 filters now - so I can just swap them and run the dirty one in the DW and it came out great!

Bookmark   August 13, 2013 at 6:09PM
andreak100

Haha...yes, I didn't know that GD flap thing before last year. Seriously...who knew??? I don't know if all the old ones were that way, but at least the newer Insinkerators seem to have that feature.

Bookmark   August 13, 2013 at 9:23PM
Karenseb

I used to clean my garbage disposal flap too until I found the DANCO Disposal Genie at Home Depot. You remove your old flap and install this instead. I love it and it stops any utensils from falling into the GD. It is extremely easy to remove and clean (in the dishwasher) and you can use it to move food into the GD.

Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 12:06AM
snookums2

So you pull the genie out to stuff larger waste down? That would seem to be inconvenient.

Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 12:17AM
weissman

Not all the flaps pull out - it depends on the model - the cheaper models don't

Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 12:38AM
Karenseb

I thought it would be inconvenient too when I bought it, but it's so easy to remove for larger waste that I never minded. I used to try and push food down with my fingers or a utensil at hand, hoping I did not touch the blades! I know I should have not had the GD on!! It also seemed to stay wayyyy cleaner than my old flap ( some micro bacterial treatment). It also looked nice in my sink. One of the first things I changed at my new home was the old flap. In went the disposal genie.

Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 12:52AM
andreak100

Karenseb - part of what keeps the Insinkerator quieter is the flaps, I think. Since you remove that when putting in the Danco disposal genie, do you notice more noise?

Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 6:47AM
Karenseb

I did not notice any more noise. I just don't have to clean those gunky flaps! The Danco disposal Genie seems to stay clean, but I did throw it in the dishwasher once.

Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 1:08AM
debrak2008

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who didn't know the baffle (I just learned thats what its called) pulled out.

I looked up the danco disposal genie but don't understand how it works. Maybe need to see it in person.

I'm happy with the baffle as it was very clean underneath and now I know to remove it occasionally.

Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 7:42AM
More Discussions
Just got my kitchen remodel photographed by a prof. What a difference!
For some reason a couple of the pics double posted....
Tamara Hadji
What are your thoughts on Ikea Sektion base cabinets?
I've commented here over and over that since this little...
benjesbride
Fridge against wall
I'm looking at a plan and the refrigerator is placed...
tammyte
what's an acceptable level of "off"
cabinets are going in need to know what's ok with regard...
lmgch
RH Aubrey pulls anyone? Measurements?
The space between our smaller drawers for pulls is...
brodyt
Sponsored Products
Atto Pendant 5000 by Secto Design
$1,561.82 | Lumens
Safavieh Soho SOH733B 5' x 8' Grey, Multi Rug
$440.00 | PlushRugs
Blue Ashley Deluxe Seven-Piece Comforter Set
$79.99 | zulily
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: LA Rugs Supreme Number Blocks Multi
$79.97 | Home Depot
Martha Stewart Living™ Triumph All-Weather Area Rug
Home Decorators Collection