Transition from one tile to different tile

SVWillowDecember 12, 2012

Our Florida house on a slab is mostly an open floor plan. It has tile in the entry way continuing through to the kitchen and family room in the back, but the living room and dining area are carpet. The wall colors for this area are the same. We hate the carpet, and would prefer tile. We can't remove the existing tile floor as it goes under the cabinets, and we'll never be able to match it. (16" x 16" neutral brownish color with a slightly irregular surface, laid straight with a darker brown grout.) We have two openings that connect directly to the now carpeted areas: a large one directly from the entry way, and a smaller one from the kitchen.

What colors, size, etc., should we be looking at? Similar or totally different? How should we transition from one tile to another? We'd also consider going with wood, but we'd end up with three different floor coverings in a small house. Suggestions? Will also post this in the Flooring Forum.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mellyc123

If I were looking at homes for sale, I would rather see a tile to wood transition than a tile to different tile transition.

Also, I would much rather remove wood than tile if there was ever the possibility of going back to one single floor covering 10 years from now.

Bookmark   December 12, 2012 at 3:43PM
lazy_gardens

The transition between main floor tiles and bathroom tiles in our master bath was done by making triangles interlocking at the intersection.

Lemme see if I have a picture ... look in the background, behind the cats.

Bookmark   December 13, 2012 at 8:03AM
lazy_gardens

DUP

This post was edited by lazygardens on Thu, Dec 13, 12 at 8:06

Bookmark   December 13, 2012 at 8:05AM
More Discussions
House of Cards - Table Lamps
Not wanting to hijack Ann's thread (Perception), I'm...
maddielee
Is it possible to hang ikea curtains on a transverse rod?
I have curtains tht I would like to hang in my family...
kiki_thinking
How to respond to social backlash aimed at your mid mod aesthestic? R
Today's retrorenovation blog was filled with subjects...
lov_mkitchenIOWA zone 6b
Ellen's Design Challenge final - spoiler alert
Spoilers below -- but, I really want to know the answer. I...
edie_thiel
TV show Perception set decor
If you haven't watched the show, it's a good one. But...
Annie Deighnaugh
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™