Do you have Portmeirion Sophie Conran

funkyartDecember 25, 2012

I have recently switched to the white Sophie Conran dishes for every day. I have 6 place settings which is fine for now but have only a few serving pieces and none of the specialty dishes. I am buying the pasta bowls .. and considering the rice bowls. The round roasting pan looks useful for lots (though I am not sure it's a good size for roasts). Are there any pieces you especially love or recommend?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
funkyart

oh well.. I am adding a post to move this down the list. I know many here use corelle and french/italian countryside (which I also looked at). But I was hoping *someone* had some experience with these pieces (many of which are slightly odd shapes). My niece told me they are perfect for me.. "classic with a touch of unusual".

Bookmark   December 28, 2012 at 8:04AM
chickadee2_gw

I don't have these dishes, but if you're looking for serving pieces, I would get pieces to serve things I had cooked on the stove top and oven to table pieces for casseroles or lasagna. For roasting actual beef roasts or chicken I would use my metal roasting pan and transfer the roast or chicken to a serving platter. I like a roasting pan that I can put on a burner to deglaze the pan for gravy. Anything you actually roast in is going to be greasy and have brown bits all over the bottom when you remove it from the oven, so it's not likely something you'd bring to the table.

Bookmark   December 28, 2012 at 6:18PM
funkyart

I think the roasting dish for this set isn't very practical for roasting-- but it is very adaptable otherwise. I don't make roasts all that often but when I do, I'd use metal.

The pieces are somewhat oddly shaped and oddly sized.. so I'll likely use them intermixed with other pieces and for purposes other than they are named. For instance.. this is the roasting dish.. 11" roundish. I'd be more likely to roast in a metal roasting pan or a cocotte/dutch oven.

Thanks for the input!

Bookmark   December 28, 2012 at 6:32PM
More Discussions
Where on Fence for Exterior Closet
I'm purchasing a "shed closet" to be installed...
Carrie B
How do you dress a 30' expanse of windows?
I have a wall with three sets of sliding doors onto...
a2momcheers
Argh! More curtain problems... Rings won't slide well on PB rod!
We have a sliding door (6' wide) in our bedroom. When...
collins design
Painting below chair rail to give appearance of wood paneling
Not in my budget to have wood panel wainscoting but...
bossyvossy
Photoshop Help with my exterior remodel!
Help! I want to remodel the exterior of my house. I...
fst96se
Sponsored Products
Hector Bibendum Pendant - Small - Original BTC
$229.00 | HORNE
Hector Bibendum Pendant - Medium - Original BTC
$299.00 | HORNE
Hector Bibendum Pendant - Large - Original BTC
$375.00 | HORNE
Hector Bibendum Table Light - Original BTC
$345.00 | HORNE
Pillow Perfect Wicker Seat Cushion with Bella-Dura Conran Fabric (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Mysqueeze by Alessi
$75.00 | Lumens
Hector Bibendum Floor Lamp - Original BTC
$495.00 | HORNE
Bassett Mirror Belgian Modern Conran Leaner Mirror
Beyond Stores
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™