kitchen lighting

marrilynAugust 25, 2013

We are remodeling our galley kitchen and trying to figure out the new lighting. It will still be a galley kitchen. The decorator wants 4 can lights down the middle on a dimmer switch, plus an additional 5 or 6 can lights over the countertop work areas on a separate switch with a dimmer. There will also be under cabinet lighting.

The electrician thinks that is too much lighting. He says we don't need the additional cans over the work areas and that they wouldn't be very effective anyway because whoever is standing there will be blocking that light anyway. And that by the time you account for the depth of the cabinets and crown molding, the light wouldn't really be over the counter work area.

The galley part of the kitchen is approx 13.5 feet long, the width is approx 4.5 feet.

Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
numbersjunkie

I think I agree with your electrician. Get GOOD under cabinet lighting and don't clutter your ceiling with cans. I have cans over my aisles and my island, none over my counters. I used LED lights from environmental lighting under my cabinets - as continuous as I could get them. They are on a dimmer also. Great light for working and great soft light when entertaining.

Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 7:17PM
marrilyn

Thanks for the reply! My decorator seems to the think UCL are not that effective and are more for show/atmosphere, but it seems that yours are?

Any other opinions out there?

I just read an article on Houzz where all the commenters seemed to indicate "the more lights the better".

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 8:03AM
kksmama

We just replaced the bulbs in our cans with LED and they seem much brighter (probably should have used a dimmer). I'm also adding LED tape under counter, which everyone has advised is very bright and I am using a dimmer there as well as on the new pendants and glass front up-upper row of cabinets. I think I'm going to have too much light, but I don't have to use everything all the time. Adding electric wires during the planning stage is much easier than adding after installation.

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 8:12AM
RubyWednesday22

Love my UCL - very functional, not just for show/atmosphere. Get some!

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 9:24PM
More Discussions
School me on galley kitchen layout!
So I've tried to start learning from the experts here...
red_argyle
Laminate seams around sink... Is this acceptable?
Hello everyone! I love reading these forums but have...
summ_md
Help with kitchen mat-awkward area. Custom?
What we would ideally like is a mat with a 45 degree...
akl_vdb
Faucet Choice: Blanco, Hansgrohe or KWC
Hi, We are remodeling our kitchen and will be putting...
jazzcook
Cabinet coat for office
I am painting over dark stained builtins in our home...
erinnicole
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™